Panther chameleon MBD? Please help

Zajlol

Panther chameleon shaking

Hello I need some help my panther chameleon started to shake when he walks and it's started to worry me. All of his legs are straight none are crooked or broken looking. I have read the it could be MBD and I don't know what to do. I have had him for almost 2 months now and he is 4 months old. On a regular basis I give him is supplements everyday I give him calcium with D3 on Monday's, wednesdays, & Fridays. I also give him multivitamins on Tuesday's & Thursday's. I gut load the crickets with orange slices or apple slices. I just started using the orange cube thing for crickets. Hope anyone can help thanks

Does he move forward and back and then finally put the leading foot on the branch or are you meaning that he stands still and trembles?

Hello I need some help my panther chameleon started to shake when he walks and it's started to worry me. All of his legs are straight none are crooked or broken looking. I have read the it could be MBD and I don't know what to do. I have had him for almost 2 months now and he is 4 months old. On a regular basis I give him is supplements everyday I give him calcium with D3 on Monday's, wednesdays, & Fridays. I also give him multivitamins on Tuesday's & Thursday's. I gut load the crickets with orange slices or apple slices. I just started using the orange cube thing for crickets. Hope anyone can help thanks

Not sure if it would be related, but I would cut back on the d3

Also, there is a good form on "asking for help" that you should post

That is what I thought bc his legs are not bent at all but how much should I give him instead?

Dusting schedule

My vet recommended Calcium for two days, Calcium with D3 for one day, calcium for two, Cal/D3 for one then one day of multi. I also gutloaded the crickets with high calcium gutload and cricket water.

Supplements depend on brand. One brand may be able to used several times a week while another would be very dangerous to use so often.

When you say his hand tremble, do you mean like they tremble as he is reaching to try and grab a branch or they just randomly shake?

personal experiences...have only seen shaking/trembles with the lack of proper lighting and calcium. he needs to see a vet for blood work to see his chemistry. if your not taking him then get some liquid calcium and get him in the sun as much as possible.

im going to assume your trembles are like the severe shakes. not the normal chameleon sway. one important factor to your supplements..whats your lighting, lighting schedule and temps.

personal experiences...have only seen shaking/trembles with the lack of proper lighting and calcium. he needs to see a vet for blood work to see his chemistry. if your not taking him then get some liquid calcium and get him in the sun as much as possible.

If it is MBD then it could be the amount of D3 that you are giving but calcium, phosphorus, D3 and vitamin A all play a part in it and they all have to be in balance.

Here is some information that I hope will help....
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption. Temperatures needed can vary with the species and age.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite which has beta carotene.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
http://chameleonnews.com/02NovHorgan.html
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine.

forgot to mention...liquid calcium - if your not familiar with syringe feeding i would go to a vet for them to show you how.

I think that's way too much d3. I would say d3 once a week only. I've seen an over supplemented panther shake and become disoriented much like your describing.

my panther is about the same age and a little while back I took him out and his two back legs were really shaky as well. I had never noticed this before and figured it was the same problem. I now make sure his cage stays by an open window (temperatures permitting) and the problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom