Panther Chameleon Enclosure Help Please

Hello everyone, I am not a first time cham owner but I am a first time Panther Cham owner. The first cham I had was very small, even at 2 months my panther is larger than my other cham. Anyways, I have my enclosure set up and I think it looks fantastic. It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass/screen on top enclosure but this enclosure is only for a year. I'm going to get a bigger screen enclosure once he grows bigger. So, I have my enclosure set up and I have all the vitamins and take the chameleon out daily for air and exercise and I posted a small video of my cham in his enclosure and I started getting harassed by this one person. He kept saying my cham is going to die and I'm a lot of bad things he said and now I just want to make sure my enclosure is safe. I have read all about the respiratory stuff that can happen from a glass enclosure, but from what I've researched and the countless vids I've watched, that only happens when their immune system is low and if they literally never come out of the enclosure like for a long LONG time. Here are a few pics and I would just like a little feedback. BTW the flooring is going to be out this weekend. It was the wrong size so we could only fill with some moss on the bottom.

One more question, when I put my hand in the enclosure for him to get on me he does it with no problem but when he's on my hand he kind of hides from me sometimes. This is only his 3rd day with us. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 1626358532611305877507395480430.jpg
    1626358532611305877507395480430.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 1626358557681749186281935233645.jpg
    1626358557681749186281935233645.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 16263585696385135110072142120321.jpg
    16263585696385135110072142120321.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 1626358578864755610817396773843.jpg
    1626358578864755610817396773843.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 123
fill this out please

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

He is a male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon and he is 2 months old. He has been with me for 2 days.
I handle my chameleon 2 to 3 times a day and for about 10 to 20 minutes. I sit outside with him where he just basks to the sun in my hand and sometimes he doesn't want to go back in but he goes in after a minute.

I feed my chameleom 1/2 inch crickets 2 times a day and he gets 4-6 crickets each feeding time. I feed the crickets Flukers orange cubes.

I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 once a week (he's only had them once since we just got him) and I will dust crickets every day with calcium without D3 and I am waiting for the multi vitamin powder to arrive.

I use a tree stump mister. It is set to run for 6 hours before it shuts off and he likes to go over there and sit next to the stump and feel the mist. I have not seen him drink water but I think he does because the likes sitting next to the mister.

I've only seen 3 fecal dropping and they are wet brown and one of them was white and brown. He has not been tested for parasites with us because he has only been with us for 3 days.

It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass enclosure with screening on the top.

The temperature is 80-85 for the basking area and 70s where the bottom is. The humidity levels are 65% and I measure this using the humidity gage thing. I also use that to measure temperature. I use a tree stump mister and sometimes use a spray bottle.

I do not use any live plants.

The enclosure is not facing any fans and not neat any vents.the enclosure sits on top of a desk area and is about 30-35 inches off the ground. I live in Virginia.

I am concerned with how my enclosure is set up. Is it set up good? And I want to know if this position is normal for a cham. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 16263611647481268323133467052108.jpg
    16263611647481268323133467052108.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 91
my advice is in blue
He is a male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon and he is 2 months old. He has been with me for 2 days.
I handle my chameleon 2 to 3 times a day and for about 10 to 20 minutes. you should really only be handling him once a week.I sit outside with him where he just basks to the sun in my hand and sometimes he doesn't want to go back in but he goes in after a minute. I recommend not holding him in direct sunlight unless it’s under 75outside but that’s my opinion

I feed my chameleom 1/2 inch crickets 2 times a day and he gets 4-6 crickets each feeding time. I feed the crickets Flukers orange cubes.those aren’t great gutload I’ll include a gutload link

I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 once a week (he's only had them once since we just got him) and I will dust crickets every day with calcium without D3 and I am waiting for the multi vitamin powder to arrive.

I use a tree stump mister. It is set to run for 6 hours before it shuts off and he likes to go over there and sit next to the stump and feel the mist. I have not seen him drink water but I think he does because the likes sitting next to the mister. I would mist 2-3 min before lights turn on 2-3 min after lights turn off and 1min at in mid night

I've only seen 3 fecal dropping and they are wet brown and one of them was white and brown. He has not been tested for parasites with us because he has only been with us for 3 days.

It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass enclosure with screening on the top. you need bigger even tho you are getting bigger in a year you need bigger In bout 5-6 months

The temperature is 80-85 for the basking area and 70s where the bottom is. The humidity levels are 65% and I measure this using the humidity gage thing. I also use that to measure temperature. I use a tree stump mister and sometimes use a spray bottle. during the day you want 30-50 percent humidity during night as high as you can get it

I do not use any live plants. you need live plants ASAP veileds are known to eat plants and can get an impaction if he eats fake

The enclosure is not facing any fans and not neat any vents.the enclosure sits on top of a desk area and is about 30-35 inches off the ground. I live in Virginia.

I am concerned with how my enclosure is set up. Is it set up good? And I want to know if this position is normal for a cham. Here is a picture. You need to get rid or all the moss and the ground needs to be bioactive or plain(I just do paper towels) you also need a tall enclosure not this one perferebly with all screen or hybrid. What uvb you have your looks like the wrong type and what watt heat lamp do you have? Also I would get rid of the hide and get rid or the water bowl and all the moss vines

Welcome to the forum @Michael_ChamLover so unfortunately the person that told you the enclosure was set up incorrectly was correct. Perhaps they could have approached you with more kindness. I am going to go through your help form now.

Here is a link to start reading. It will teach you how to set up the cage for success. Read through each module https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Glass is fine for chams when it is set up right and you are carefully monitoring temps and humidity levels. When done incorrectly yes it is a recipe for a respiratory infection.

Also send photos of the back of your chams feet

Attachments

• 7A341BC8-121F-45A6-A5C2-8C374A51A8FD.png
    7A341BC8-121F-45A6-A5C2-8C374A51A8FD.png
    615.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 22D917F4-76C8-4421-BE83-316952977B6E.png
    22D917F4-76C8-4421-BE83-316952977B6E.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 19E763E7-E481-41AE-BD34-0BEA2246A787.png
    19E763E7-E481-41AE-BD34-0BEA2246A787.png
    809.6 KB · Views: 91
Btw the screen enclosure recommendation is completely my own opinion lots of people do great with glass but you have to watch your temps and humidity

Hello everyone, I am not a first time cham owner but I am a first time Panther Cham owner. The first cham I had was very small, even at 2 months my panther is larger than my other cham. Anyways, I have my enclosure set up and I think it looks fantastic. It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass/screen on top enclosure but this enclosure is only for a year. I'm going to get a bigger screen enclosure once he grows bigger. So, I have my enclosure set up and I have all the vitamins and take the chameleon out daily for air and exercise and I posted a small video of my cham in his enclosure and I started getting harassed by this one person. He kept saying my cham is going to die and I'm a lot of bad things he said and now I just want to make sure my enclosure is safe. I have read all about the respiratory stuff that can happen from a glass enclosure, but from what I've researched and the countless vids I've watched, that only happens when their immune system is low and if they literally never come out of the enclosure like for a long LONG time. Here are a few pics and I would just like a little feedback. BTW the flooring is going to be out this weekend. It was the wrong size so we could only fill with some moss on the bottom.

One more question, when I put my hand in the enclosure for him to get on me he does it with no problem but when he's on my hand he kind of hides from me sometimes. This is only his 3rd day with us. Should I be concerned?
Where did this person harrass you, YouTube, Cham forums, insta?

@Michael_ChamLover see my feedback in bold.

I handle my chameleon 2 to 3 times a day and for about 10 to 20 minutes. I sit outside with him where he just basks to the sun in my hand and sometimes he doesn't want to go back in but he goes in after a minute. Be cautious holding at all until baby has fully adjusted to the cage after you update it. This causes more stress and can cause health issues. Watch the temps outside in full sun. If baby is gaping it is too hot.

I feed my chameleom 1/2 inch crickets 2 times a day and he gets 4-6 crickets each feeding time. I feed the crickets Flukers orange cubes. Reduce to the 1/4 inch size and you should be feeding more like 25-30 a day for this aged cham. Morning and noon if you split it between two feedings. Drop the flukers. See image for gutloading. You can do fresh or something like Repashy bug burger for your feeders.

I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 once a week (he's only had them once since we just got him) and I will dust crickets every day with calcium without D3 and I am waiting for the multi vitamin powder to arrive. Which multivitamin did you buy? D3 should only be given 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. A multivitamin is 2 times a month as well depending on what is in it (should not have D3 if you are giving D3 separately). Rotate between the multi and the calcium with D3 week to week at one feeding. Then calcium without D3 all other feedings. Feeders should be lightly dusted, no powdered donuts.

I use a tree stump mister. It is set to run for 6 hours before it shuts off and he likes to go over there and sit next to the stump and feel the mist. I have not seen him drink water but I think he does because the likes sitting next to the mister. Are you using a fogger? That is what this sounds like. And this is a respiratory infection risk. No fogging at all if temps in the cage are not below 67 degrees. And no fogging when lights are on. You need to be hand spraying plants for baby to drink.

It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass enclosure with screening on the top. If baby is 2 months now plan to have baby out of this size cage in the next 2 months max. This is a very small enclosure and only suitable for a baby. But my concern is leaving baby in this cage due to the type it is. No ventilation strips at the bottom to pull air up and out. So air will get stagnant fast and will not circulate. If it were me I would return this cage and get a screen one.

The temperature is 80-85 for the basking area and 70s where the bottom is. The humidity levels are 65% and I measure this using the humidity gage thing. I also use that to measure temperature. I use a tree stump mister and sometimes use a spray bottle. Humidity is too high for the daytime. 50-60% max. Temp should be closer to 80 at basking for a baby. You need a wired probe temp gauge to measure the basking temp. ASAP you need a linear UVB fixture. T5HO 5.0 bulb. This needs to have a total distance of 8-9 inches to the closest basking branch for the correct UVB. replace the screw in bulb they gave you for uvb. You may need to lift the linear fixture off the top of the enclosure 4 inches then 5 inches from the screen to the branch for the right UVB level. Otherwise you will lose too much of the space in the cage.

I do not use any live plants. You should they are better for them to drink from and help balance humidity in an enclosure. You can buy them from lowes or home depot. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf

I am concerned with how my enclosure is set up. Is it set up good? And I want to know if this position is normal for a cham. Here is a picture. So it is set up wonderfully for another species of lizard. But unfortunately it is incorrect for a chameleon. Glass is fine for chams when it is set up right and you are carefully monitoring temps and humidity levels. When done incorrectly yes it is a recipe for a respiratory infection. That would be if the cage had venting at the bottom but this one has it at the top. So air is going to get stagnant in this due to the way they made it. This is not good for chams.

Per the image of the baby on the hide. If heat fixture is above that pull it more to the middle that is too close for baby to be to a fixture. Thermal burns are a risk with this. That position shows stress... They do not lay on things like this. They need branches to grip and stand properly. The enclosure is very exposed no live plants for baby to hide in to get away from you or the heat.

Here is a link to start reading. It will teach you how to set up the cage for success. Read through each module https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Also send photos of the back of your chams feet
What do you mean by send picks of the back of the chams feet? Does that mean something? Also I can get a screen enclosure in 5-6 months but as of right now I can't really change anything. I took the advice for the heat lamp and I was going to get the T5 HO 5.0 UVB linear light but my parents said no since we just spent a lot. I really want to get it but I can't right now. And what can I change the vines with? Since you said to get rid of the moss vines that's really all there is in there so what can I replace them with? I'll get rid of the moss floor so I am going to add the reptile carpet so do I need anything else on the floor?

@Michael_ChamLover see my feedback in bold.

I handle my chameleon 2 to 3 times a day and for about 10 to 20 minutes. I sit outside with him where he just basks to the sun in my hand and sometimes he doesn't want to go back in but he goes in after a minute. Be cautious holding at all until baby has fully adjusted to the cage after you update it. This causes more stress and can cause health issues. Watch the temps outside in full sun. If baby is gaping it is too hot.

I feed my chameleom 1/2 inch crickets 2 times a day and he gets 4-6 crickets each feeding time. I feed the crickets Flukers orange cubes. Reduce to the 1/4 inch size and you should be feeding more like 25-30 a day for this aged cham. Morning and noon if you split it between two feedings. Drop the flukers. See image for gutloading. You can do fresh or something like Repashy bug burger for your feeders.

I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 once a week (he's only had them once since we just got him) and I will dust crickets every day with calcium without D3 and I am waiting for the multi vitamin powder to arrive. Which multivitamin did you buy? D3 should only be given 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. A multivitamin is 2 times a month as well depending on what is in it (should not have D3 if you are giving D3 separately). Rotate between the multi and the calcium with D3 week to week at one feeding. Then calcium without D3 all other feedings. Feeders should be lightly dusted, no powdered donuts.

I use a tree stump mister. It is set to run for 6 hours before it shuts off and he likes to go over there and sit next to the stump and feel the mist. I have not seen him drink water but I think he does because the likes sitting next to the mister. Are you using a fogger? That is what this sounds like. And this is a respiratory infection risk. No fogging at all if temps in the cage are not below 67 degrees. And no fogging when lights are on. You need to be hand spraying plants for baby to drink.

It is an 18" x 18" x 24" glass enclosure with screening on the top. If baby is 2 months now plan to have baby out of this size cage in the next 2 months max. This is a very small enclosure and only suitable for a baby. But my concern is leaving baby in this cage due to the type it is. No ventilation strips at the bottom to pull air up and out. So air will get stagnant fast and will not circulate. If it were me I would return this cage and get a screen one.

The temperature is 80-85 for the basking area and 70s where the bottom is. The humidity levels are 65% and I measure this using the humidity gage thing. I also use that to measure temperature. I use a tree stump mister and sometimes use a spray bottle. Humidity is too high for the daytime. 50-60% max. Temp should be closer to 80 at basking for a baby. You need a wired probe temp gauge to measure the basking temp. ASAP you need a linear UVB fixture. T5HO 5.0 bulb. This needs to have a total distance of 8-9 inches to the closest basking branch for the correct UVB. replace the screw in bulb they gave you for uvb. You may need to lift the linear fixture off the top of the enclosure 4 inches then 5 inches from the screen to the branch for the right UVB level. Otherwise you will lose too much of the space in the cage.

I do not use any live plants. You should they are better for them to drink from and help balance humidity in an enclosure. You can buy them from lowes or home depot. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf

I am concerned with how my enclosure is set up. Is it set up good? And I want to know if this position is normal for a cham. Here is a picture. So it is set up wonderfully for another species of lizard. But unfortunately it is incorrect for a chameleon. Glass is fine for chams when it is set up right and you are carefully monitoring temps and humidity levels. When done incorrectly yes it is a recipe for a respiratory infection. That would be if the cage had venting at the bottom but this one has it at the top. So air is going to get stagnant in this due to the way they made it. This is not good for chams.

Per the image of the baby on the hide. If heat fixture is above that pull it more to the middle that is too close for baby to be to a fixture. Thermal burns are a risk with this. That position shows stress... They do not lay on things like this. They need branches to grip and stand properly. The enclosure is very exposed no live plants for baby to hide in to get away from you or the heat.

View attachment 305594
Ok here is a pic of the top of the enclosure. Where do you want the heat lamp to go. The uvb in on the right side and the heat lamp is on the left corner. And I cannot change the enclosure as of right now. And I tried to get the exact UVB light you suggest but my parents said no so I am panicking.

Attachments

• 16263633872567572909878161595575.jpg
    16263633872567572909878161595575.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 86
What do you mean by send picks of the back of the chams feet? Does that mean something? Also I can get a screen enclosure in 5-6 months but as of right now I can't really change anything. I took the advice for the heat lamp and I was going to get the T5 HO 5.0 UVB linear light but my parents said no since we just spent a lot. I really want to get it but I can't right now. And what can I change the vines with? Since you said to get rid of the moss vines that's really all there is in there so what can I replace them with? I'll get rid of the moss floor so I am going to add the reptile carpet so do I need anything else on the floor?
Golden pothos is really good and a money tree also don’t do reptile closet I would just do paper towels and the back of the feet is for gender to double check

Ok here is a pic of the top of the enclosure. Where do you want the heat lamp to go. The uvb in on the right side and the heat lamp is on the left corner. And I cannot change the enclosure as of right now. And I tried to get the exact UVB light you suggest but my parents said no so I am panicking.
Did you get the enclosure you have and the stuff from petsmart or Petco? If you have the receipt you can return it.

So without the correct UVB baby will develop Metabolic Bone Disease. The limbs will bow and no longer be straight and the baby will not be able to climb. Then baby will eventually die. This is how you need to explain it to your parents. Right now the only way to help with this is taking baby outside in real sun 30 minutes each day.

I can give you the link for the proper UVB fixture and bulb.

Pull the heat fixture forward. in line with the UVB>

Golden pothos is really good and a money tree also don’t do reptile closet I would just do paper towels and the back of the feet is for gender to double check

Attachments

• 16263638866091267606546104135432.jpg
    16263638866091267606546104135432.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 16263639718404232446772101177690.jpg
    16263639718404232446772101177690.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 16263639841547835054132722964810.jpg
    16263639841547835054132722964810.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 16263640086145182998483551998162.jpg
    16263640086145182998483551998162.jpg