Panther chameleon 2-3 months old eating bark

Sal_chameleon

Hey everyone, first post, first chameleon, not a first reptile.

Hey we have a panther chameleon. 2-3 months old, male. I noticed that he is eat a lot of bark. Like a lot, i catch him daily, some days few times. Seems those are small thready pieces and he is pooping fine from my research.

He eats well in morning up to 6 crickets with supplemented (d3, calcium, multi) in a way that his breeder recommended every second day changing supplementation) weekend none. And in afternoon 2 maybe 5 some days.

He likes to drink, he has a constant supply of dripping water on a natural rope (he shoots tounge to it, or stays on it and sips). He likes to bask a lot hw has recommended hotizontal uvb and nice warm basking spot of 30-32.

Humidity is kept 50-100 at night at 30-60 day we spray it daily or if its needed as it is well ventilated glass enclosure.

So question is why is he eating so much bark and wood. Help appreaciated!

Cheers

A lot of them are bark eaters.
This is the first I've heard of that.

My first thought went toward some kind of nutritional imbalance. Is that supplement regime appropriate for this age?

I also wonder about the bark; is this a substrate?
Would it not make sense to remove the bark entirely? :unsure:

This is the first I've heard of that.

My first thought went toward some kind of nutritional imbalance. Is that supplement regime appropriate for this age?

I also wonder about the bark; is this a substrate?
Would it not make sense to remove the bark entirely? :unsure:

I dont like to mix regimens. I always go by the breeder. If they say Use XY XY times a week, it works. You mix a different brand, or a different sched, and whole knows if its correct.

As for the bark. Unless its a potho, its going to have bark. Ive had every madagacar cham nibble on leaves and bark. Its not much, you will notice a few triangles missing from leaves, and some rings of bark missing from the thin branches. The dont defoliate like a veiled. Honestly im not even sure if they are eating it vs brushing their teeth, but the "new growth" always has a bad time and gets nibbled.

Now if its substrate, yea we dont want orchid bark/ dirt eaters :)

I wasn't thinking of them eating bark right off plants, but I don't think that would concern me like eating mulch or substrate.

It seems even more surprising to me with a panther. I expect tasting, but gnawing takes more concerted effort.

If he is that young then he really is not eating much... 2-3 months they should be eating much more. typically they can take down 15 or more easily a day.

Thanks everyone, calmed me down. Seems like when we brought a little mix up to his diet with black soldier ants larvae and some grubs he does it much less frequently.
Everything still alright with him, defecate well, just had his first shedding with us and hes hungry as hell!

Back
Top Bottom