Pan's Tongue was Amputated

That is really interesting. From what I can see, it looks really close to the bone. He has only tried to use it for drinking so far (and only twice) so he seems to follow your experiences thus far.

Edit: kinyongia, how did you get the chameleons with a flap to eat if they kept trying to shoot their tongue out?

Last edited:
Here's a day by day list of what has happened so far for anyone who might find it helpful. I will also post a new thread/blog later on with his full recovery.

March 23-
Feeding day. Shooting and eating normally.

March 25-
Tried feeding him around 12 noon. Wouldn't shoot but tried to eat a bug by biting it (like a non-chameleon lizard.) Ended up spitting it out along with his tongue. Tried to retract tongue and bit it several times. I helped him put it back. Didnt do it again. Tongue was a little red and swollen, but still looked relatively normal.

March 26-
Managed to swallow his tongue overnight. Vet pulled it out and it was purple/black and tip was incredibly swollen (like 4 times its normal size.) Too damaged to save so it was amputated around 2 PM. Didn't try drinking. Had incredibly bright colors indicating his stress/upset-ness. After surgery his left eye was swollen and baggy. He seemed uncomfortable and appeared to have a little difficulty seeing. First shot of antibiotic.

March 27-
Finally drank for me from a 10 cc syringe. Tried to use his tongue stub but stopped after a few times. Figured out how to drink easier by putting his whole mouth around the syringe while i slowly dripped it into his mouth. Drank about 7 ml of water. Eye still baggy and appeared to have some depth perception issues when putting syringe in mouth.

March 28-
Still drinking well but trying to use tongue stub a little. Eye is less swollen and baggy. Can see much better. Drank about 8 ml of water.

March 29-
Second shot of antibiotics. Seeing better and less swelling but still a little baggy. Didnt try to use tongue stub. Drinking well.

March 30-
Hand fed him. Tried eating dubia but had too much trouble. Took three pre-killed superworms on his own. Had to shake his head a bit and climbed into a vertical position (probably for some help from gravity) to get them down his throat.

Back
Top Bottom