panicur

coastal_chameleon

Avid Member
hello guys ! just Sunday my male panther who is about 7 months old was started on panicur 3 days on ten days off and is now going on three days off but has not ate :( I need to have another fecal done in about 4 days but he has not ate :( seems like his hunger completely when away once we started him on panicur :( has this ever happen to anyone ? He is drinking a lot !!! but still refuses to eat :(? I have offered him silk worms ,horn worms, super worms ,crickets and dubia without any luck :( my vet recommended repti boost so I went out just now and got him some .
after reading the ingredients i'm having second thoughts as the main protein source is egg product :(

on a side note he does drink from a siring very easily !! he took the panicur drops like a champ so im thinking the reptiboost wont be hard to give to him . if any of you have experience this do you have any tips ????what should I do ????????????

It's not unheard of for animals on dewormers to have a reduced appetite. I wouldn't be concerned after 3 days so long as he's drinking and otherwise acting normally. Lily (female panther) went on a solid week old hunger strike when she had her Panacur doses last year (she was ~9 months old or so at the time).

Don't sweat it!

A day or two of reptiboost won't hurt. I wouldn't do it long term.
If he had a heavy parasite load he may be a bit woozy/toxic from the dead parasites in his system. Once they clear he should start feeling better. Also some meds are compounded in oil and it can fill them up temporarily. Keep offering him tempting things. I bet he starts back to eating soon. If not keep in contact with your vet.

It's not unheard of for animals on dewormers to have a reduced appetite. I wouldn't be concerned after 3 days so long as he's drinking and otherwise acting normally. Lily (female panther) went on a solid week old hunger strike when she had her Panacur doses last year (she was ~9 months old or so at the time).

Don't sweat it!
thanks this makes me feel a little bit better !
hes drinking a lot and basking ! the other thing I noticed was he goes to sleep about an hour or so before lights off over the past couple days ....

A day or two of reptiboost won't hurt. I wouldn't do it long term.
If he had a heavy parasite load he may be a bit woozy/toxic from the dead parasites in his system. Once they clear he should start feeling better. Also some meds are compounded in oil and it can fill them up temporarily. Keep offering him tempting things. I bet he starts back to eating soon. If not keep in contact with your vet.
will do !!!!!!!! im going to start him on reptiboost asap !!!!!! I really appreciate you replying !!

Iv made a post asking if it was okay to use benibac to help ,IV been wanting to try it but he's not eating :( he did take in some repiboose today and had the tiniest poop afterward ! I'm in the process of doing a fecal float it the 10 to 15 min !

This may be of little help, but do you know what the parasite load was? For instance, pinworms at 2 eggs/slide is low, etc. Knowing the kind of parasite and the #/slide can be helpful, or so I’m told. For example, a very high roundworm load, and the subsequent die-off with fenbemdazole, can be hard on a Cham. I have heard of an initial treatment with pyrantel, which paralyses the worms, to facilitate expulsion is a good first step. As I understand it, the Cham expels a good portion of the live (but paralyzed) worms pretty quickly, and the risk of NecShock is reduced. Then, once that has been completed, a round of fenbendazol can be administered, killing all the roundworms remaining. This way, the deworming works in two stages: 1) expelling of many paralyzed worms as per pyrantel; necrotic shock is not an issue since the worms don’t die, just get expelled. 2) killing remaining worms with the fender bender. Anyways, just something I heard. Not a vet, nor a scientist.

Back
Top Bottom