Panic in the streets

JacksJill

Website Manager
Staff member
This is just me venting so if you don't want to listen run away now.
I just ran to the grocery store to pick up some veggies for this weekends dinners. It was nutz. The lines were out the doors and people were grabbing bottled water as fast as the poor employees could bring it out. A little backstory Los Angeles schools K-12 just closed for a month or so. Now I know and you probably know that water isn't going anywhere in fact we are looking at two weeks of rain ironically. This only affects me because they even sold out of distilled water. I have a few 5 gallon jugs stashed at home so no real worry there and as long as the taps are running I have RO if necessary. In fact if I go back in tomorrow after everyone comes to their senses I can get plenty. Though due to panic mode buying I will only be allowed to buy two.
So one odd thing I noticed is that as all the canned and processed shelves were being cleared I was almost the only person in the produce section. Maybe I'm calm because I eat my veggies or maybe it's because I always have an earthquake kit stocked and ready. Maybe because I'm not a crazy sheep. Probably because keeping chameleons teaches inner peace. Who knows.
Keep your heads people and wash your hands and be especially careful around our elders and those with chronic health problems.
That is all.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 2.19.02 PM.png

People are going crazy here in Canada land as well. My mom waited in line at the grocery store for over an hour this morning. Half the shelves were empty. No toilet paper to be found anywhere lol.

I’m guessing you were alone in the produce isle because everyone is buying essentials that will last a long time.

they have extended March break here for 2 weeks. So will be a 3 week March break for all school kids starting this weekend. It might go longer once they re evaluate the situation.

I agree it’s getting way over blown. Seems the biggest symptom is mass hysteria.

I saw somebody buy 8 gallons of milk. I hope they are thirsty or planning on making cheese. Maybe they have an entire team of teenagers at home that drink a gallon a day.

I have a 2 year old, a 7yr old and my wife, and we drink/use about a gallon a day. We usually buy 4 gallons, which rarely gets us through the week, but its all we can fit lol.

I guess you could finish 8 in just over a week. My boyfriends household has two teenagers but only goes thru a couple gallons a week. Still cows aren't going on strike and will be making more tomorrow. It just seems better to go to the store late at night or early on the morning and avoid the crowds.

It's bad, these folks need to calm down tbh.

The common flu kills more people than this will, and no one is panicked for the full season.

The media blows it out of proportion too though.

its true that the flu kills more people every year then this probably will. But the mortality rate of the flu is about 0.1%. The mortality rate of Coronavirus so far is about 7%

7% probably isn’t even accurate though as that’s based off of the numbers of people tested so far.

The mortality rate varies by age group. In the general population it is in the 1-2 percent range still much higher than flu but in the over 60 age group and with smokers that's where it is higher. I think it hit China so hard because so many men still smoke there.

Ya I was looking at the rate for cases that have had an outcome so far. Of those about 7% died.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I just seen that it does vary by age group. But they wont know the true numbers for a while.

China probably also has a lot of people with respiratory issues already from the air pollution. Smoking would just make it worse.

its true that the flu kills more people every year then this probably will. But the mortality rate of the flu is about 0.1%. The mortality rate of Coronavirus so far is about 7%

7% probably isn’t even accurate though as that’s based off of the numbers of people tested so far.

The fatality rate is slightly lower than the flu, and its like jacks said, about 2%, so far. However its still new, not understood and many of those tested, are because it was severe, they are saying many more are effected and dont know it.

12000 people died during this past flu season. Corona death toll is still under 5k.

The fatality rate is slightly lower than the flu, and its like jacks said, about 2%, so far. However its still new, not understood and many of those tested, are because it was severe, they are saying many more are effected and dont know it.

12000 people died during this past flu season. Corona death toll is still under 5k.

you mean slightly higher then the flu. The corona death toll is now over 5k. Over 63k active cases and almost 6k of those are in serious or critical condition.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The percentage is higher of people know to have contracted it and the overall toll is lower so far. It will be a huge relief when they have a vaccine for it. Hopefully people will go and get vaccinated.

Sry not trying to argue about this. There is to much information and misinformation going around about this right now. They won’t know the true numbers till it’s all over.

People are going crazy here in Canada land as well. My mom waited in line at the grocery store for over an hour this morning. Half the shelves were empty. No toilet paper to be found anywhere lol.

I’m guessing you were alone in the produce isle because everyone is buying essentials that will last a long time.

they have extended March break here for 2 weeks. So will be a 3 week March break for all school kids starting this weekend. It might go longer once they re evaluate the situation.

I agree it’s getting way over blown. Seems the biggest symptom is mass hysteria.

This is exactly what's happening what's happening in my area of Canada too. I hope this is over soon.

Back
Top Bottom