Pale Head! Please Help!!

ChamZeus

So Zeus has been really dark green lately and his head has been pale. and I'm not sure why?! at night he's a little brighter. please help! also sometimes when I open the cage he'll try to get out then when I let him climb on me he goes straight for the top of my head or the nearest wall.

Chameleon Info:
Zeus- Veiled Chameleon translucent , Male, and he's about 4 months and I've had him for 3 months
Handling - I hardly handle him only when I Clean his cage.
Feeding - I feed him 10-15 MED crickets daily, and maybe 6-7 mealworms once or twice a week. I feed him every day a little after 4 when I get off of work and sometimes a little sooner on my days off. I use Repashy's bug burger for gut-loading.
Supplements - I use exo-tera calcium w/o vit. D every feeding, rep-cal calcium with Vit. D one Monday, and Rep-cal herp Vit. the next Monday.
Watering - I mist his cage 3 times a day once when i turn on his light once after feeding and once right before turning off his light
Fecal Description - poop is dark in color and somewhat moist and pee is white with very little yellow at tip
History - I've never had any problems with him in the past

Cage Info:
Cage Type - a 18x18x24 mesh cage
Lighting - I use a heat lamp with 150w bulb and a exo-tera 5.0uvb tube light
Temperature - I have 2 exo-tera thermometer/humidity gauge one next to basking area which is usually around 85-90 degrees but now with the winter months they have gone down a little. and the other maybe 6" from the bottom which is usually 70-75
Humidity - is between 45-50
Plants - I have fake vines and leaves and one live tall Plant not sure what kind I bought it from LLLreptile they told me the type but i forgot but they said it was fine for my Veiled.
Placement - the cage is about 3' off the ground and its not really a high traffic area its in my room next to the bathroom.
Location - southern California

Can you post a pic? It is possible that he is getting ready to shed and therefore his head will look lighter.

Wont address the pale head but sounds like your guy is needing a bigger enclosure...a pic of the head would be worth (approximately) 1000 words ;)

039c755f-a8f1-4300-8d8d-f612c9045b3d

5682b483-be12-41e1-a9ea-4e1d64450a29
0e78e3f8-d662-4fa2-b566-ccb7a1758ae7

Thanks for replying. his head turned pale a little bit after he shedded.

Don't want to cause any unneeded stress for him. maybe try the mirror trick or show him a female. see if his colors pick up. like the others say though: maybe his transluscence is spreading.

It doesn't look like you have a red bulb in his cage but in your Avatar I assume he is under one. I wouldn't recommend using one of these if you happen to be.

lol hes shedding... trans won't just jump to his entire dome like that. it's white, the outer skin is drying out. you can tell cuz the colors are different underneath in the pictures but the paste white stays the same.

His head looks fine.

If you are talking about the pale coloring around the ridges and rims of his head, like the casque area and such. its normal for a veiled.

also, becaue hes a trans, he could have lighter pigmentation in other parts of his body, even if the skin isn't pink or white like his feet, its still possible.

however, his cage, needs some work.

he needs more branches in there to provide more cover.

Thanks!

Thank you all for the advice!! I'm currently building him a giant cage so hopefully it'll make him happy and he'll brighten up.:cool:

Still dark

So Zeus is now 11 months now, and he still is dark in color is that maybe his natural color? I tried the mirror trick and he turned black and a brighter green. besides his color he looks happy he roams around his cage, his eyes are always moving around, and he poops and pees regularly. photo 1 (2).jpg that's him after looking in the mirror photo 2.jpg and that's his normal color.

So Zeus is now 11 months now, and he still is dark in color is that maybe his natural color? I tried the mirror trick and he turned black and a brighter green. besides his color he looks happy he roams around his cage, his eyes are always moving around, and he poops and pees regularly. View attachment 97044 that's him after looking in the mirror View attachment 97045 and that's his normal color.

Chams don't pee, so I assume your talking about his urates?

Back
Top Bottom