Paint vs staining

tracysimpson

We are building a awesome cage :D I was wondering what would be better to use paint or stain, and also which kind is safe???? Please help

I have used zero VOC acrylic latex paint on all my cages. It holds up well. And latex allows you to choose colour or even be creative and paint a leaf-like jungle or camo pattern.

I used stain.

I then used a polyurethane after and let the cage sit for a week.

either is fine so long as you let the fumes completly go away and you make sure the wood is water protected.

I used stain.

I then used a polyurethane after and let the cage sit for a week.

either is fine so long as you let the fumes completly go away and you make sure the wood is water protected.

This /\

The poly can take some good abuse, and wont scratch off the paint/stain since you have to bust through the clear get to the stain/paint.

I use waterbase primer/sealer(killz exterior/interior). Never had problems with it and it holds up to serious abuse!(3 coats) I once built a chicken coop with raw pine(roof also), and the florida wheather never hurt it. I did however apply a new coat every year cause it starts to look dingy. But what can you expect when its outside in full sun and getting hit by 12 months of florida weather:)

Both paint and stain are safe to use, it is the type that you should be careful of. Always use water-based products as they as non-toxic. Another term that is used to describe water based products is latex. Stay away from anything that is described as lacquer, alkyd, oil, alcohol based as these products can be very harmful to your cham. They off-gas even after they've dried and are not safe to use in a living environment. Also, most spray paints are oil or alcohol based therefore should not be considered.

Its ideal to use an exterior grade paint, or stain/top-coat. As these will perform ideally in a humid and warm environment.
Note that these products take about a month to fully cure but can be used after 2 weeks. This will allow the product to adhere to the surface properly before exposing it to elements such as water, heat, moisture, etc.

Back
Top Bottom