Oversized Horn Worms

cstocke

What do you guys do with oversized hornworms that your cham can no longer eat? I have an entire container filled with over 20 hornworms that have quadrupled in size in just a few days. I mean one is bigger than my pointer finger. They were expensive so I don't want them to go to waste.

I should mention too that he only ate 2 and after that he refused to eat them. This same thing happened last time we got a container of them. He likes 2-3 when we get them and then is done for a long while.

I think breeding them would be good if I had more animals to feed them too. We are in the process of starting a colony of Dubias so I may just feed the local birds like you said. I live in AZ and the mixture of heat and humidity makes them grow like crazy!

I can only imagine. I'm in WI, my summer weather is more reasonable.

I hear storing them at 55, not in a fridge, slows them down considerably. I'm going to order some next paycheck and I'm going to try keeping them cool this time. If all else, beardies (y)

The first time I ordered them, not one pet in my house wanted them. Fed the birds.

I have a friend with a beardie so I'm giving them to their little guy who I'm sure will love them. When I say these guys are big, I mean they are ginormous!

I would but he's only like 8 months or so. I'm not sure if thats considered and adult but I know they are too big for such a little guy.

My cham doesn't like them either. In fact he's only ever had 2, and the second one- he let crawl around in the bowl for 3days before he finally ate it! Maybe you could sell them to someone on the forums who has bigger species, or more mouths to feed. They should be easy to ship. You wouldn't even have to pay for the over-night service. Just my thoughts.

I've been buying them just to grow into moths because my guys like the flying stuff better than the crawling stuff. What type of chameleon is it? I think an 8 month old veiled or panther could take the moths. Maybe not a small 8 month panther...

Back
Top Bottom