Over Misting?

OrangeCrush

Hey everyone I have a veiled Cham that is about 4 month and he is like a son to me hahaha. I have recently purchased a MistKing a few weeks ago. I love this product I feel like it is the best misting system in the market for the price. I do have a few question about the amount of misting I should have. Currently I have it set up to mist his cage about 6 times a day. It really only mists about 3/4 or less of the cage. I do not have it misting the basking spot of his cage which is the right side of his cage. The misting usually last about a minute and a half. Usually the misting in the morning is the longest. I am wondering if this is too many time to go off? I have an all screened cage so there is a lot of air flow, and there is a drainage system at the bottom so there is not standing water at the bottom of the cage what so ever. He also sits in front of a window and I frequently open the blinds for him to get some real sun. I know that veiled like their humidity up there around 50-70 percent that's why I have it goes off some many times. If anyone can provides some suggestion that would be great. I don't want to be doing something wrong and him get sick or anything.

I'm inclined to say that might be a little to much. Humidity is important, but so is the cleanliness of the cage. I have read that's it's best to let the enclosure dry out entirely between mistings because an environment that is constantly wet is a breeding ground for bacteria, etc. I mist my veiled 3-4 times a day. Do you have live plants? If not, getting some could help keep the humidity up so you don't have to mist as much.

Also, opening the blinds is great for him to get extra light, but he's not actually getting the real UVB rays from that since glass stops UV penetration. I would open the whole window for him occasionally. :)

Yea I do have some live plants, I have two lithos that r rather large. Their vines r able to wrap around the cage pretty nicely. The misting times I have are at am- 7:05, 9:30, 11:00 pm- 1:00,2:00, 4:00, 6:30 before his lights go off at 7:30/8. Most of the misting are only like a minute so it does really get that wet. I have seen the cage fully dry though out the day. The only longer mistings are first in the morning and last one to go off. I don't really hand mist any more because he doesn't like it. I see him laying in the mist through out the day, because he like the soft mist from the MistKing so much more. I was thinking about cutting back a little bit more. I originally chose that amount because I noticed his urine being alight yellowish color, so I upped the amount of misting. His urine now fully white. The bottom of the cage is all screen so all of the water just go right through to the drainage system.

Yea kinks there is not UVB that getts through the window that is why when the weather is I nice take him outside and put him on his hibiscus in the morning. I usually sit outside with him for about and hr or two, so he can soak up some real rays. He really enjoys sitting outside and he is getting better with me getting him out of his cage. I heard two to three hrs of real sun is about a whole weeks worth of UVB rays from his lights.

Yea kinks there is not UVB that getts through the window that is why when the weather is I nice take him outside and put him on his hibiscus in the morning. I usually sit outside with him for about and hr or two, so he can soak up some real rays. He really enjoys sitting outside and he is getting better with me getting him out of his cage. I heard two to three hrs of real sun is about a whole weeks worth of UVB rays from his lights.

Sitting out in the sun with my Chameleon is one of my weekly highlights. Being somewhat of a "Take life slowly" person, I find watching the Chameleons behavior and personality in a more open environment enthralling. Great fun.

Real sun is the way to go really. Wish UK was a bit nicer but I gotta admit, this summer has seen some NICE days. Yesterday it was so hot that he was gaping outside, I provided shade of course and he moved into it eventually to cool down and I gave him a small misting of lukewarm water. Just a little bit of sun per week can really make a difference with their health.

I absolutely love sitting outside with my Cham in the morning. But we occasionally have a few problem coming back inside. Also I don't put him in a cage outside because I sit out there with him because it not good to leave them out too long. He sometimes thinks it's fun to piss me off and eat bugs of some sort outside. I hate when he does this because I do not know what he is eating. We had a little problem yesterday when trying to come back inside. I felt like such a HORRIBLE parent. I was trying to get him to walk on my hand so I cud catch him but he was very reluctant to do some. I finally got him on my hand and at the last minute he decided to change his mind and conduct a flying leap to the plant. Well he missed the plant and fell to the ground. LUCKLY he was ok but I was soooo upset after it happen. I felt like it was all my fault but things happen sometimes. He like a lil child and out of control sometimes but he's ok and I am happy about that. Definitely will be take more precautions next time around!

You guys never fear of Predators, Maybe a passing bird?

Is there a certain age before you take them out?

About to get my first little guy next week and would love to sit outside with him.

Back
Top Bottom