over feeding

King Zeus

How can I tell if I am over feeding my veiled cham? I have a veiled cham female and have had her for around a week and I can notice a size change in her already she is two months old is that normal?

Babies grow fast and they need a lot of food. You'll need to start cutting back when she gets to 5 months or so. Overfed females are at risk for larger, more frequent clutches of eggs.

fat

if you're cham looks obese then you're feeding to much lol and the 5 month thing is absolutely correct at that age you want to slow down their growth to prevent mbd. I feed mine about 5 roaches a day and sometimes some treats like mealworms. (mine are about 5 months)

they grow rather quickly when they are young. How much are you feeding her a day?

Babies grow fast and they need a lot of food. You'll need to start cutting back when she gets to 5 months or so. Overfed females are at risk for larger, more frequent clutches of eggs.

i would also like to add from personal experience, that a healthy diet is a daily feeding and cut down to every other day at 5 months of age. between 12-15 suitable sized crickets a day should be fine until around age 3 months, and then cute down to maybe 8-10 a day. dusting your feeders with plain calcium every feeding and multivitamin and calcium with d3 once-twice depending on the brand of suppliment, natural sunlight and gutloading.

i totaly agree with Elizadolots about the females risk, feed her less, about 8 crickets suitable sizes. or the apx weight of 8 crickets in other feeders. also you should keep her basking spot around 81 degrees.

hope this helps :)

You dont EVER want to fast-grow a chameleon! just an FYI

overfeeding

Thankyou all for the info I was worried about her but it appears she is healthy and doing great. I feed her 8-10 small gutloaded crickets and 2 meal worms a day. On occasions she might get a few roaches in her diet

Chameleons in my house, isn't 5 months old a bit early to start cutting back every day? My breeder, Kammerflage Kreations, says to start cutting back at like 12 months???? That seems awfully early. Just my opinion. I guess in the end it all works out.

Chameleons in my house, isn't 5 months old a bit early to start cutting back every day? My breeder, Kammerflage Kreations, says to start cutting back at like 12 months???? That seems awfully early. Just my opinion. I guess in the end it all works out.

With a normal female veiled I would start cutting back no later than 5 months maybe even soon if she's large. When female veileds are over fed they can start producing a clutch at a very young age which can result in death in many cases. Over feeding can also cause many other health problems in chameleons.

I'm attaching my laying bin/egg laying blog for you so you will know how to prepare for you female.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Th care sheet

The care sheet for that breeder (kammerflage kreations) says to cut back at five and then cut back to every other day when they are adults it's different for males and females on there care sheet although I do not remember exactly off hand the amounts.

Hey guys,
i just spoke to Liddy about this yesterday. She said that they have to change their care sheets. It should say that Juvenile Chams shoud eat anywhere from 8-10 crickets, if feeding medium size (1/2"-3/4").
I was also wondering about their dusting schedule, anyone notice that? It says they dust w/ Minerall Phos free cal w/o d3, Repcal w/d3 and Herpivite all twice a week. On the forums though, you guys say d3 and herp only twice a month. But I trust the Kammers, as Liddy mentioned; "In their past 12 yrs. of breeding chams, this is what gives them the best results".

Back
Top Bottom