Outside temps. How hot is too hot

NickTide

Avid Member
I like to move my panther chams outside when I am home for the day. I was using 90 as my max temp but as we move farther on in the summer, that's becoming harder to find. Today is calling for 91 degrees. The cage has a white plastic thing over half to offer shade plus there is an umbrella plant. The cham is basking half in the 100+ degree sun and seems to enjoy it. The shade is reading in the mid 80s for now.

The breeder I bought them from last July kept them outside in Tennessee 24/7 but I don't know if that's risky or not. I used to keep my veildes outside all summer 20 years ago because we had limited types of feeders and UVB bulbs were garbage. On real hot days I put tubs of ice on top to help drop it a few degrees.

Air temps in the very low 90's is fine, since its only going to be 88-91 for a few hours during the mid day. You will start getting issues when you have 4-6 hour blocks of 90f+ air temps in the shade.

Id rig up a 4ft+ long cage with half in the shade and half in the sun.

thank you.
I don't currently have anything near that size and one refuse to come back in on my hand in the evening or afternoon and she gets really stressed so I carry the whole reptibreeze cage e outside (18x18x36") for her. I can take her outside by luring her with food but that doesn't work to get her back inside.

I don't think my back would allow me to build much of anything now either. I had horrible back spasms reaching into the roach tank to get some. A week earlier it spasmed reaching out to vacuum. Should I stick to bringing them inside when it hits say 87 degrees? Or maybe putting them in complete shade?

I’ve left my panther outside in 100+ degree weather. I offer tons of shade via fake vines, and offer lots of misting(well I hose him down with a sprayer setting on the garden hose), as well as put a few fist fulls of ice cubes covering the majority of his XL reptibreeze. As long as there is constant dripping or I’m spraying every 30 minutes or so he does great. There was an incident where my wife forgot he was out there, he went without water for a few hours. Besides gaping and turning an incredible yellow and blue color, I came home in time and he’s been just fine ever since.

Oops , I meant take them in when it hit say 92.

I wouldnt bring them in. I would offer full shade during the 90+ days since its only a 18" wide cage. You might even be able to rig up the shade so they can get sun in the morning but for 2/3 of the day the sun cant hit the cage. So maybe put something opaque on the top and side, and face the none blocked side into the morning sun.

I’ve left my panther outside in 100+ degree weather. I offer tons of shade via fake vines, and offer lots of misting(well I hose him down with a sprayer setting on the garden hose), as well as put a few fist fulls of ice cubes covering the majority of his XL reptibreeze. As long as there is constant dripping or I’m spraying every 30 minutes or so he does great. There was an incident where my wife forgot he was out there, he went without water for a few hours. Besides gaping and turning an incredible yellow and blue color, I came home in time and he’s been just fine ever since.
My veilds spend every Friday-Sunday outside in the summer. In Louisiana that means 100% humidity at 95 or more. With plenty of shade and water they do just fine...

Samesies. Hose nozzles set at mist setting can get you through the super hot in the shade days. And it's just awesome.
I've got my boy set up so he gets morning sun and then afternoon shade. I'm available to check on him multiple times a day, which is comforting. Knowing the heat stress colors is important, sosyou can quickly identify an issue, and then how to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom