Outside plants

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm just finishing up a large outside enclosure and looking for advice on plants that will thrive in full sun. Planning on using this enclosure for Drake during the day and then bringing him inside before dark. Will need something that will climb up the sides like a vine type or??
I am not a plant guy so your suggestions will be appreciated. Also a couple tree types for the center. I've got 8' to work with.

Hi all, I'm just finishing up a large outside enclosure and looking for advice on plants that will thrive in full sun. Planning on using this enclosure for Drake during the day and then bringing him inside before dark. Will need something that will climb up the sides like a vine type or??
I am not a plant guy so your suggestions will be appreciated. Also a couple tree types for the center. I've got 8' to work with.
my ficus and schefflera have been outside for about 5 months (they go back in in autumn) and they are doing quite well.

I have a 20' lanai where my chams can have playtime. It has 2 6' ficus trees, with a hibiscus that has a pothos growing out of the bottom, a snake plant, and various other plants. My male veiled will inevitably climb down the ficus, and walk along the ground to either climb up the other ficus, or to perch in the snake plant in the corner (he looks like he put himself in time-out). My male panther will climb down the other ficus (they are never out there together, but I put them in their "own" ficus trees to begin with), and head in the opposite direction, down the plant stand, and up another plant stand in the far corner. Essentially each uses just about all of the 20', so make sure you have plenty of room and that the porch is secure from other animals/birds.

Honeysuckle grows extremely fast and loves sun. It's good for covering sides. Fig trees like full sun, citrus trees as well. To get an idea for some more, go to local nurseries and see which plants they keep in full sun, and which they keep in shade. You could also look at native plants that are thriving out in the sun.

Honeysuckle grows extremely fast and loves sun. It's good for covering sides. Fig trees like full sun, citrus trees as well. To get an idea for some more, go to local nurseries and see which plants they keep in full sun, and which they keep in shade. You could also look at native plants that are thriving out in the sun.
That's what I'm looking for-something that will climb and cover the sides. I can fill in the rest with taller plants. Thanks

That's what I'm looking for-something that will climb and cover the sides. I can fill in the rest with taller plants. Thanks

Yup hard to beat honeysuckle then. It's even problematic here because it covers trees/bushes so fast. That's my plan as well for covering the sides of my outside enclosure

I have a 20' lanai where my chams can have playtime. It has 2 6' ficus trees, with a hibiscus that has a pothos growing out of the bottom, a snake plant, and various other plants. My male veiled will inevitably climb down the ficus, and walk along the ground to either climb up the other ficus, or to perch in the snake plant in the corner (he looks like he put himself in time-out). My male panther will climb down the other ficus (they are never out there together, but I put them in their "own" ficus trees to begin with), and head in the opposite direction, down the plant stand, and up another plant stand in the far corner. Essentially each uses just about all of the 20', so make sure you have plenty of room and that the porch is secure from other animals/birds.
Thanks for the reply, I tried hibiscus indoors but that didn't work out very well. I've been known to kill any plants in my care but will give it a try outside. Ficus is on my list as well.

Yup hard to beat honeysuckle then. It's even problematic here because it covers trees/bushes so fast. That's my plan as well for covering the sides of my outside enclosure
Sounds like it may also attract some bees and such for an afternoon snack?

Back
Top Bottom