Outdoor Tube Cage build!

Slug

I completed my outdoor tube cage based on a design I came across on here over the weekend. It is really sturdy, has drainage, allows a lot of climbing area, and is near escape proof. The only thing keeping it from being escape proof is that I have not gotten a permanent solution to keeping it closed (I have been zip tying it shut when Weirdo is in it, and clipping the ties when I bring him back in.

He seems to like it, but due to the overhang I had to hang the cage from, he is unable to bask as much as he could if I could move the cage to another spot. The original spot I wanted to hang it from is not high enough to offer him the security he requires.

Any changes are welcomed, and any questions regarding how I built it will be answered. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Photo Jun 09, 9 54 48 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 09, 9 54 48 AM.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 303
wooowwww! thats really cool! but are you sure its wide enough? if i were you id make at least a foot wide, to make sure the little guy is roomy enough in there. other than that is perfect!:D:D:D:D

It looks smaller than it is. It is a little over a foot wide, and is over 3 feet tall. I need to get exact measurements... I used over 300 zip ties when all was said and done. It was fairly inexpensive as well, and a fun weekend project.

Weirdo is around 2 years old (he was 14 months when I got him a year ago according to the breeder.) He is a Yellow-Crested Jackson's.

Here is his most recent picture on my hand for size comparison.

It helps if I upload the picture...

The first is Weirdo.

The second is the cage next to our refrigerator for size comparison.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 28, 11 24 31 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 28, 11 24 31 AM.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Photo Jun 02, 9 44 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 02, 9 44 49 PM.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 217
Try using some twisty-ties. Still requires effort, but at least you won't be burning thru hundreds of zip ties. :)

Taking a length of wire, at the top, middle, and bottom of the door, attaching it to the edge of the door, will allow you to pull it shut, and stick the ends of the wire through the side, which can then be twisted together to keep it shut.

Good job.

Taking a length of wire, at the top, middle, and bottom of the door, attaching it to the edge of the door, will allow you to pull it shut, and stick the ends of the wire through the side, which can then be twisted together to keep it shut.

Good job.

Most excellent of ideas!

Back
Top Bottom