Outdoor Set-Up for Newbie Jackson Cham in Hawaii.....please critique!

rj1204

I joined this forum last week and I am a pretty big Repti-Geek. I have plenty of experience in most other reptiles other than Chameleons. After reading for hours on the forums and many care sheets, I finally built my first enclosure which will be an outdoor one. I apologize if I repeat myself so bare with me. Please critique what you see, your input is much appreciated and I am prepared to make changes if necessary.

First off, I live on Oahu, Mililani Mauka town where the temps are usually around 75-82 (high) during the day and upper 50's to lower 60's (low) at night. It usually rains 2-3 times per day and dries up in between rains. Humidity is pretty high and there have been many sightings of Jackson's in my area. Enclosure is 24" x 24" x 48". The wood is Douglas Fir and stained. Wire is 1/4" hardware cloth. I didn't trust the strength (or lack of) of any mesh or screening with my 4 and 6 year old daughters, along with the possible occasion dog or mongoose. I know this size wire may hold some crickets in and some may escape. All hardware cloth is on the outside so the chameleon will not get cut.

Inside the plant is a 3' tall Hibiscus. From the top of the Hibiscus there is about 1 foot of room and I added various tree branches/twigs. The bottom is just the hardware cloth and the plant takes up about 70% of the bottom area. I didn't want to put too many vines/plants in there so the crickets wouldn't have too many hiding places.

I made two separate doors (top/bottom) and they are large enough to get the plant in/out of the enclosure. The mid section just provided more stability and made wedging branches easier.

The local mom and pop pet store just got a new batch of 5 male and 2 female Jackson's. They are each about 9-10" so I'm guessing they are sub-adult or adults. Please critique and let me know if I should add or take something out. Should I add some rope/vines across? Is the bottom ok just being the plant and hardware cloth? It is humid and rains plenty here so I want the enclosure to be able to drain/dry out enough.

We may pick the little guy up tomorrow if we feel confidant our enclosure is good to go. Thank you for your advise and input!!!!!

Attachments

• ch1.jpg
    ch1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 140
  • ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 161
  • ch3.jpg
    ch3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 154
  • ch4.jpg
    ch4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 152
  • ch5.jpg
    ch5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 135
It's a good start and fair play for getting opinions before picking up the cham.I think a bit more climbing vines or branches would not go astray and foliage near the top for hiding.but again I think its a great start.also is put some biggish smooth stone in the plant pot so the cham cannot ingest any soil if its shooting a cricket on it

Do I need a cover on the top? It rains a lot here. I got the new guy tonight and its already rained twice within the last 2 hours.

You could provide a cover and that way you would be able to regulate how much water the chameleon is exposed to. So instead of relying on Mother Nature you could just hand mist it or set up a misting system. I also would think a cover on top would be good for concealing him from birds, etc.

cage looks great. I second the soil being covered up. The rain should not be an issue epecially if wild chams are spotted in the area. i would make sure it cannot puddle anywhere in the cage as well (in the pot as well) where the cham can drown.
Otherwise, good luck!

Wow I totally wish I lived where you live!
I'm nothing but a n00b, but I think It looks great, but I do second the motion to add some more leafs and pathways around the top.
What an amazing garden addition!

Get some branches from the trees in your yard and create some vertical and horizontal pathways of varying diameters in the cage. Leave 3-4 inches clear at the top but the rest should be filled in. If there are no branches to climb he or she will spend most of their ime climbing the screen. You can make a network of branches using zip ties to anchor them and connect them together. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the responses! I may just cover a small part of it since it does rain so much here. Yes, there have been chameleons spotted within 5 miles but I am up on the mountain a bit and it is very rainy here. It does dry though but another rain usually comes a couple hours later. Those pics were taken a week ago and since then, I have added at least 3-4 long branches and 3 small wood circular bird-like perches (from Lowes). I also bought about 5 fake plant foilage and put it all at the top. I put concrete pieces in the soil so the dirt is about 80% covered now.

I will update pics when I get home. I am trying to wait a week until I handle him at all. I got him last night and will try to feed him some crickets today. Again, thanks for the advise! It is much appreciated.

sounds like your going the right way about everything any way.i dont know much about jacksons but i have read thy like it pretty wet so i wouldnt worry about covering the top too much as long as the cage has good drainage.it sounds like it rains a lot there but im wondering would it be worth adding a dripper in case you have a few dry days and at least youll know he has constant access to water
also dont be too dis heartened if he doesnt eat for a few days as it can take time to settle in this is normal

Back
Top Bottom