Outdoor pygmy cages?

mphelps

Established Member
Does anyone out there keep their pygmy chameleons outdoors? If so, I would be interested to learn about your cages and see some pictures.

My wife and I are considering renting a home which has a beautifully landscaped backyard with lots of tree cover, combined with lots of undergrowth in the shade (ferns, etc.). It is on a high bluff near the coast in southern California, and the temperatures are rarely very hot or very cold. Placing small cages in the undergrowth in that backyard seems like a perfect place for pygmies, and I expect that I would only have to bring them indoors during a couple of the hottest weeks in August and a couple of the coldest weeks in January, if that.

Does anyone have experience keeping pygmies outdoors for extended periods and what do your cages look like?

I've never heard of pygmies outside. They're so sensitive, I could guess that's why people don't put them outside. Remember, the smaller the cage the easier it is for another animal to break it and hurt the pygmies. I think those are chameleons that should definitely be inside. They seem too vulnerable to me. It's like leaving two marshmallows in front of a little kid. Of course the kid's gonna eat them, jmo

I've never heard of pygmies outside. They're so sensitive, I could guess that's why people don't put them outside. Remember, the smaller the cage the easier it is for another animal to break it and hurt the pygmies. I think those are chameleons that should definitely be inside. They seem too vulnerable to me. It's like leaving two marshmallows in front of a little kid. Of course the kid's gonna eat them, jmo

Actually, some years ago, multiple pygmy species were kept successfully outdoors by a couple hobbyists in Orange County and San Diego. You are right that an outdoor pygmy cage would need to be secure from racoons, cats, and other suburban "wild life." But if environmental conditions are met, pygmies should thrive outdoors just like the larger species. Also, placing pygmies outdoors in winter (Florida or Southern Californian winters, that is) would allow them to brumate, which many species do in the wild.

I am hoping that someone on the forum has experience keeping pygmies outside, so that if I experiment with this approach, I won't be starting from scratch.

Interesting idea. I'm a huge fan of GOC and have heard extensively about them. However outside cages for pygmies is somewhat new. I suppose you could convert a planter box. That would allow you the luxury to be able to move the cages if necessary or place the planters over water to solve your ant problem. Which from what I have heard is one of the biggest problems with outdoor cages in Southern California and could be a huge problem for pygmies.

Interesting idea. I'm a huge fan of GOC and have heard extensively about them. However outside cages for pygmies is somewhat new. I suppose you could convert a planter box. That would allow you the luxury to be able to move the cages if necessary or place the planters over water to solve your ant problem. Which from what I have heard is one of the biggest problems with outdoor cages in Southern California and could be a huge problem for pygmies.

Jeremy,

"GOC"? What does this stand for? I started to guess "Greater Orange County," but that doesn't seem to fit the context.

A planter box is exactly the picture I have in mind. The last time I kept full-size chameleons, I placed a bottomless 24"x24"x36" screen cage on top of a plastic utility sink from Home Depot. A bucket under the utility sink drain offered perfect drainage for my misting system. It was beautiful. I'm thinking of using a utility sink again, but this time I plant the bottom of the utility sink just like I do my indoor glass terrariums (hydroballs, carbon layer, potting soil, lots of tropical foliage, etc.) and I place a much lower screen cage on top. It will be roughly equivalent to a 24"x24"x24" terrarium, but designed for outside use.

At least, that's my current mental picture.

Mike

Jeremy,

"GOC"? What does this stand for? I started to guess "Greater Orange County," but that doesn't seem to fit the context.

A planter box is exactly the picture I have in mind. The last time I kept full-size chameleons, I placed a bottomless 24"x24"x36" screen cage on top of a plastic utility sink from Home Depot. A bucket under the utility sink drain offered perfect drainage for my misting system. It was beautiful. I'm thinking of using a utility sink again, but this time I plant the bottom of the utility sink just like I do my indoor glass terrariums (hydroballs, carbon layer, potting soil, lots of tropical foliage, etc.) and I place a much lower screen cage on top. It will be roughly equivalent to a 24"x24"x24" terrarium, but designed for outside use.

At least, that's my current mental picture.

Mike

Mike

GOC stands for Giant Outdoor Cage.

With a planter box you could move the enclosure to shadier locations or areas with more sun as required. I would pick a container or planter box that you could screw, bolt or fasten to the screen enclosure top in some way that a Raccoon, Opossum, or dog could not dig under or break into.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom