Outdoor keeping northern indiana

Uri

Avid Member
I have a hoehnelii and jacksonii id love to keep outdoors temporarily for portions of the day with outdoor cages and maybe next year for the season if it works but I live in northern indiana we are famous for random snow storms and had a big snow literally last week and now have perfect 50-70 temps I know this is in the range of my species but I was wondering if anyone with similar conductions have any tips my backyard has no shade cover except for a like of pines but I can’t rely on that as it’s next to the fence on my neighbors side and they have 2 large dogs that love to shake our fence. We also have a lot of raccoons and possums the ocasional predatory bird how can I counteract the predators and the lack of shady spots? As well as the problem of wasps and ants we have ants come regularly in the summer as well as a ground nesting wasp species that always return every summer and make a nest in the same place and we can never seem to get rid of them and since my species are particularly small I doubt they will take a wasp and of course will have a mini heart attack if I see them interacting with those stingers

I have a hoehnelii and jacksonii id love to keep outdoors temporarily for portions of the day with outdoor cages and maybe next year for the season if it works but I live in northern indiana we are famous for random snow storms and had a big snow literally last week and now have perfect 50-70 temps I know this is in the range of my species but I was wondering if anyone with similar conductions have any tips my backyard has no shade cover except for a like of pines but I can’t rely on that as it’s next to the fence on my neighbors side and they have 2 large dogs that love to shake our fence. We also have a lot of raccoons and possums the ocasional predatory bird how can I counteract the predators and the lack of shady spots? As well as the problem of wasps and ants we have ants come regularly in the summer as well as a ground nesting wasp species that always return every summer and make a nest in the same place and we can never seem to get rid of them and since my species are particularly small I doubt they will take a wasp and of course will have a mini heart attack if I see them interacting with those stingers
When nights are above 45, and days are sunny, they can be kept outdoors. Both jax and Howhnelli can take low nights.

I live in northern Indiana as well and I kept my veiled outdoors the last half of may and all of June July and august and some of sept. Lots of wasp around and opossum and raccoons. But never had a problem with anything. He seems to love eating the wasp. Now with your species I wouldn't recommend eating wasps but they won't bother it though

I used to live in northern Indiana as a child, most snow I've ever seen at once in my life. Kaizen is correct about their tolerance for low temperatures.

Ants may be your biggest problem not that you can ignore the others. I have tried diatomaceous earth around the cages but it needs to be maintained. One leaf or branch falls across it and it's no longer effective.Placing the cage feet in water can work as well with similar limitations. Keep in mind that they will use the tubes of your misting or dripping system as a highway as well.

Screen cages will keep out wasps and other flying insects but not raccoons, you will need hardware cloth for them or bring everyone in at night. I've never had an issue with them during the day.

You can use a shade cloth across the tops of the cages for shade with heavily planted cages. The sun will still get in enough from the sides. You might want to plant a tree or two this spring or build an awning. I use shade cloth sails at the warmest parts of the summer.

I would be very careful of high temps with those species take them inside when it gets over 80-85 during day or if the nights get over 65. Provide plenty of shade, shade cloth on top and heavily planted cage and under tree, a couple hours of sun in the morning is plenty. If the larger predators are an issue you may want to wrap cage in chicken wire or hardware cloth. Provide ample misting sessions as well. Ants and wasps are ok as long as they aren't swarming the cage or you have fire ants. Keeping outdoors definitely has its challenges but to me it is the most rewarding way to keep chameleons for us and the animals.

Back
Top Bottom