Outdoor Living in So Cal

Olowanpi

Hello all!

We live in Southern California and I thought I'd share my vivariums with all of you who are interested in keeping your Chams outdoors... weather permiting, of course!

We have Veiled's and Panthers, and all are thriving outside. The adults live outdoors most of the year. I bring them in at night during the coldest part of winter. But for the most part, they stay outdoors. Youngsters stay inside until they are bigger and eating full sized insects.

I have an extra-large cage for all of the females, and separate cages for the males. I have a MistKing mister system with a 55 gallon water holding tank that covers all of the cages.

Recently I had an incident with a bird dive-bombing a young panther female :(, so now the cages are covered in bird netting, althought I don't know if you can really see it in the pics.

If anyone has any questions or comments, I am open to everything!

I am still trying to learn how to use this site! So I am sorry if my pics are small...

Thanks for all of the dialogue! I love this site!!!

Attachments

• Cages.JPG
    Cages.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 415
  • Cages_sideview.JPG
    Cages_sideview.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 452
  • Chamille in BigCage.JPG
    Chamille in BigCage.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 367
  • LG-femaleCage.JPG
    LG-femaleCage.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Me&Chamille.JPG
    Me&Chamille.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 359
This is just........AMAZING!!!!
I hope to have such an enclosure in the future! That Veiled in the pic that was climbing around with the yellow stripes looks IMPRESSIVE. He must be the happiest Veiled out there right now lol :D
Good job!
keep it up!

Boy, what some people go through so they don't have to mow the lawn... :p

Nice job. :cool:

LOL! Trust me... I still have plenty to mow! But the tortoises help in their area. :)

BTW, these cages are really EASY to make! Fairly economical, and they weather great!!!

I made them out of 1/2" conduit, using conduit "elbows" to join the corners. For the "small" cages, I made (4) panels 4' wide and 6' tall, and a top at 4' x 4'. I used wire ties to attach the screen! And wire to tie all of the panels together! The screening material is the most expensive part... in all, about $95 per 4'x4'x6' cage.

And there you go! No rotting whatsoever! No matter how humid you keep it, or how much you mist! Misters attach easily to any part of the cage, and it's strong enough to hold fairly heavy hanging plants too (in the corners!).
I use a light sun screen on one corner, just to give them a different shade area, plus all the trees and plants. They love it!

Anywho, thanks for the comments! Hope to see some of you at the Show in San Diego this weekend!

Attachments

• My Max.JPG
    My Max.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 199
  • misters.JPG
    misters.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 189
What a wonderful set up for your chams. Mine get out on good days about 4 months out of 12. Wish I could have a set up like yours.:)

Gorgeous setup!!! You have my future yard.:D Welcome to the site! You are going to love this place. I have not been able to make it recently but you should consider the SBCK meetings(if you haven't already:eek:) that are usually in LA. A bunch of fellow cham keepers and forum members meet up, talk jive, and trade feeders and what not.

I would love to see some pics of your Torts as well!

How big is your yard??? Can me and my tent rent out a 7'x7' plot of grass?:);)

~Joe

Gorgeous setup!!! You have my future yard.:D Welcome to the site! You are going to love this place. I have not been able to make it recently but you should consider the SBCK meetings(if you haven't already:eek:) that are usually in LA. A bunch of fellow cham keepers and forum members meet up, talk jive, and trade feeders and what not.

I would love to see some pics of your Torts as well!

How big is your yard??? Can me and my tent rent out a 7'x7' plot of grass?:);)

~Joe

LOL! I do love it here (in the Forum)! It's a rare treat for me to find something like this, and I'm totally excited! I thought I was just the oddball around my neighborhood, other than the couple of guys at the local pet store!

I have an acre here, so I am pretty blessed! Lots of room for Chams, torts, and tents! BUT... I'll have to get to know you a little better, before you can pitch your tent in my backyard...! :) Your Chams can come anytime though! LOL!

Cheers!

I love this thread, and I love your setup.

Perhaps I shall rethink some outdoor materials I use before I go with a permanent outdoor enclosure.

The metal seems very secure from animals, and I am afraid my plastic hardware netting, although tough, can be easily chewed through.

I love this thread, and I love your setup.

Perhaps I shall rethink some outdoor materials I use before I go with a permanent outdoor enclosure.

The metal seems very secure from animals, and I am afraid my plastic hardware netting, although tough, can be easily chewed through.

You are local to me(somewhat), so if you want to come and check it out someday, you are welcome to! It's a very simple design, and very strong against animal intrusion.

You are local to me(somewhat), so if you want to come and check it out someday, you are welcome to! It's a very simple design, and very strong against animal intrusion.

Hello neighbor! What a great set-up. I was wondering how the chameleons would do outside around our parts and was a bit apprehensive to try it. I'm definately re-thinking it now... Hopefully run into you at the show in San Diego!

WOW.....you guys are so lucky to be able to keep your Chams outside!here in N.I. 11 months out of the 12 it is usually raining or -1(LOL!!)but the weather has been so good...in fact freakishly good lately that i am toying with the idea of getting a flexarium to put my girl outside for a couple of hours during the day....knowing my luck i will buy it and it will start to snow!.....lovely set up...very jealous:p!!!!well done:D

The San Gabriel Valley has some good weather for Chams. Especially in the cities with a lot of trees.

Back
Top Bottom