Outdoor Keeping Season 2023

DonKeesh

Chameleon Enthusiast
And we're back folks! So happy to be putting together the outdoor enclosure for another summer. Temps looking good for Cryo to come out this weekend! The Mandeville selection this year was a bit rough but it should fill out. The clematis is going crazy already.

PXL_20230429_171640479.jpg

And we're back folks! So happy to be putting together the outdoor enclosure for another summer. Temps looking good for Cryo to come out this weekend! The Mandeville selection this year was a bit rough but it should fill out. The clematis is going crazy already.

View attachment 337959
Hi mate I read that clemantis has a poisionus sap or something from their flowers, have you notice the chameleons eating it or anything problematic about it?

@leedragon hello, fortunately the clematis is on the outside of the cage... The Mandeville inside the cage is also reported to have some of those characteristics. Lucky for me cryo is a pardalis and has never shown any interest in eating plants. This is the third year using both plants and I have had zero issue. Great question!

I like the thought of having one outside and I may well build one sometime, It would be a limited window though and probably still need to come in at night, as it’s so inconsistent here in north west France, this time last year was beautiful and warm, this year I’ve still got the heating on! 😆

I highly recommend it if you can... It makes the hobby so much more enjoyable to observe their wild outdoor behavior. Nothing better than having my morning coffee while hanging out by the cage. I can also tell that cryo is so much happier and healthier outdoors!

Just a few things to keep mind... Make sure they have plenty of options to get into the shade. That is why I have the clematis on top of the cage. After a few hours of morning sun the cage is fully shaded. Also make sure the bottom of the cage doesn't reflect the sun upward. A planter box base with soil and plants helps with this. Also a patio mister on a hose timer is very nice to have. Good luck!

@redhorse we don't have major issues with that here in northern Kentucky. The ants are pretty tame compared to say Florida. I definitely try to not let feeders free in the cage and remove any waste I see immediately.

@leedragon hello, fortunately the clematis is on the outside of the cage... The Mandeville inside the cage is also reported to have some of those characteristics. Lucky for me cryo is a pardalis and has never shown any interest in eating plants. This is the third year using both plants and I have had zero issue. Great question!
I was worry about they drinking up the nectar when spraying their cage with water since they drink from the leaves. I wondering about getting diaplaneia mandevilla and clematis boulevard myself but reading they can give drops of nectar that is toxic I not sure if I would. But you haven't noticed anything after a couple of years of use? I have Jackson's and they sometimes eat hibiscus so I worry about they eating those.

@leedragon from my research it appears the sap has mild skin irritant properties but not necessarily poisonous if consumed. I probably would not use these plants if I had a veiled that demonstrated a taste for plants but with a panther is has not been an issue. Our fearless leader @DeremensisBlue also uses Mandeville and clematis in some of his outdoor builds so that gave me confidence they were safe.

@leedragon from my research it appears the sap has mild skin irritant properties but not necessarily poisonous if consumed. I probably would not use these plants if I had a veiled that demonstrated a taste for plants but with a panther is has not been an issue. Our fearless leader @DeremensisBlue also uses Mandeville and clematis in some of his outdoor builds so that gave me confidence they were safe.
really? even inside the enclosures?

I have also used Mandevilla in my panther enclosure with no issues for what it's worth , I was inspired by @DonKeesh and built a planter box set up for outside

Back
Top Bottom