Outdoor housing for K.Multi

Just wanted to clear out a couple of things to be sage as am housing my kinyongia multi in a cage out doors for a few hours..

Does he still get UVB rays if cage is sitting in the shade?

How hot is too hot for him in the sun? At the moment I am not letting him much in the sun as it gets around 97 ish ...would it be ok for him at around 90? He is over a year old...

Even in the shade, 90F is too hot unless you have a full time mister going. Direct sun at those temps is a death sentence. He could only tolerate it for a few minutes before overheating.

I try to keep mine in the mid 70's max ambient with access to basking at 80 to 85. That's on a hot day. Most of the time I keep them in the 60's ambient with basking spot about 80F. Currently 64F ambient.

If I were to do outdoor cages this time of year in Oregon, I'd need full time shade, full time mist in part of the cage and we're only in the 80's right now.

Good luck.

Just wanted to clear out a couple of things to be sage as am housing my kinyongia multi in a cage out doors for a few hours..

Does he still get UVB rays if cage is sitting in the shade?

How hot is too hot for him in the sun? At the moment I am not letting him much in the sun as it gets around 97 ish ...would it be ok for him at around 90? He is over a year old...

Temps are too hot for a Multi, but typically you get as much or more UVB outside in the shade as you do from a 5.0 UVB bulb as measures by a UVB meter.

Yea, I was going to say, in the shade of a tree there is typically still quite a bit of UVB. UVB bounces off surfaces, so unless you're really under a lot of cover you're still going to get decent readings. You'd have to get a solarmeter to see the exact numbers, but for example, in a yard under a large tree you can still get a reading of around 80-100mW/cm² (as compared to around 20-30mW/cm² under a Reptisun 5.0)

Temps are too hot for a Multi, but typically you get as much or more UVB outside in the shade as you do from a 5.0 UVB bulb as measures by a UVB meter.

Good point, I was not thinking of the comparison with the typical UVB bulb. Thank you for pointing that out. :) I'll be doing some outdoor cages soon for spring and fall use, so good to know.

Thanks for all the responses...my assumptions were right .. I am only leaving him out in the shade and misting frequently which leaves a highest temp of 80F ...Thanks again for clarifying that.

Back
Top Bottom