Outdoor enclosures?

would you say this jackson needs more uv? seems pale to me.

michael-jackson.jpg

Think theres something wrong with him too, his horn fell off

michael_jackson.jpg

:D

LMFAO that is awesome!

Hello Erin,

How big were your outdoor enclosures for each cham?(I'm going to assume they were kept singly). What were you feeding them?

I doubt I'd be able to keep a suitable outdoor enclosure in my living situation(no yard)...but we do have windows here that I wonder if the enclosure could be situated to take maximum advantage. Afterall, even chams in outdoor enclosures still have screen in between them and the sun.

Any exp. with pygmies or no? They seem like a good candidate for the windowsill experiment(perhaps an aquarium with a side removed that leads to a screen cage next to the window where natural sunlight would hit for basking)

Hello Erin,

How big were your outdoor enclosures for each cham?(I'm going to assume they were kept singly). What were you feeding them?

I kept pairs of veileds and Jacksons in cages approx. 8ftx6x4, but single veileds were kept in smaller cages (maybe 3x6x3 or so).

I doubt I'd be able to keep a suitable outdoor enclosure in my living situation(no yard)...but we do have windows here that I wonder if the enclosure could be situated to take maximum advantage. Afterall, even chams in outdoor enclosures still have screen in between them and the sun.

Any exp. with pygmies or no? They seem like a good candidate for the windowsill experiment(perhaps an aquarium with a side removed that leads to a screen cage next to the window where natural sunlight would hit for basking)

Lots of experience :) I love those guys. If you were going to do pygmies near a window, the enclosure would have to be a lot of screen to allow cooling and air flow. Those little guys can overheat very quickly and they don't bask in quite the same way that arboreal chams do.

Negative. Pygs like it cool. It would get wayyyyy to hot for them on a windowsill. I get nervous when my roommates turn the AC up to 80 when im not around...I like to keep my guys in 70-75 range.

assuming UV light is provided?

Wondering if it is practical to attempt natural light for pygs.

Any add. input on windowside enclosures(for regular chams) would be appreciated.

Also, how often did you supplement babies/juveniles? Would you be supplementing calcium with D3 indoors?

Might be going a bit off topic but what about age of supplements? How often replaced?

Thanks!

Oh, I should restate. Yes, it'd be a screen enclosure. I don't know how well pygs would do being moved to a temporary enclosure for basking so perhaps it would have a passageway from the main enclosure(remove one side from a normal vivarium perhaps?). It would not allow for direct sunlight(so would not be right next to the window). Perhaps the pygs would shuttle back and forth as their UV needs tell them.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom