Outdoor enclosure question

summerseeking

Avid Member
Hi All! It’s been a while since I posted, happy to be back. I have a question I’m hoping y’all can help me with. I’m building an outdoor summer home enclosure for my Chams. I’ll include photos. I have 7 chameleons, 3 boys and 4 four girls. I built in individual stalls for the boys that 3x2x8’. I have room to build 3 more stalls for the girls, but I have 4 girls.

Here is my question. The total size of the girls side is 6x3x8’ I don’t do cohabitation but could leave this space without dividing walls and let the all the girls summer in this space? Or would that be too stressful and I should stick to building stalls and just get/make a forth enclosure.

C563EE2C-AFD0-4882-B3F4-A6BB51F1D57F.jpeg
259A016B-BC98-4E87-82FD-72E986053D57.jpeg
E0264665-8857-4352-B85B-A930725C8A0D.jpeg

I would not let them summer together.. They will start stressing each other out and compete for dominance. You will have to divide them up into their own spaces. So the space is 6 feet wide correct? Divide it into 4 spaces. This will give them 18 inches in width. Since your cages have the depth and the height is double what is needed. This will still give them plenty of space.

That’s absolutely beautiful 👌🏻 That makes me overthink my intended outdoor build 😎. Good to see around here again. How’s the breeding project progressing?

This looks absolutely amazing! I would strongly advise against allowing them to summer together. It seems to really stress them out which can negatively affect their immune systems. A chameleon that might no otherwise get sick may become ill just from the additional stress of co-habitation. A friend of mine owns a reptile surrender and rescue. She says of the chameleons they get in, Instances of moth rot and respiratory infections are much higher in chameleons forced to cohabitate. Also females cohabitating together often won’t lay their eggs. I have seen situations where they have become egg bound and died. Just not worth the risk even though it would save in time and space. Your enclosures are beautiful! Those are some lucky chameleons!

This looks absolutely amazing! I would strongly advise against allowing them to summer together. It seems to really stress them out which can negatively affect their immune systems. A chameleon that might no otherwise get sick may become ill just from the additional stress of co-habitation. A friend of mine owns a reptile surrender and rescue. She says of the chameleons they get in, Instances of moth rot and respiratory infections are much higher in chameleons forced to cohabitate. Also females cohabitating together often won’t lay their eggs. I have seen situations where they have become egg bound and died. Just not worth the risk even though it would save in time and space. Your enclosures are beautiful! Those are some lucky chameleons!
Yea that makes so much sense. I decided to build the 3 individual stalls and I’m going to get a forth enclosure for my extra girl. No unnecessary stress 👏🏽👏🏽❤️

Back
Top Bottom