Outdoor enclosure pictures/advice

SliK JiM

I've searched around a bit and got nowhere looking for inspiration, so I thought I'd just make a thread!

The main thing I want to ask is what type of mesh do people use on their outdoor enclosures? I have some spare aluminium flyscreen mesh, but I don't think it is really robust enough to use outdoors. Other than that, I've been looking at 13mm x 13mm galvanised wire mesh. I figure this will hold up well in the elements and let the maximum amount of sunlight in. I do actually have a spare 125 flexarium kicking around which I'm using currently but it doesn't look very good and I feel that the mesh cuts out too much of the UV!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'd really like some pictures of your set ups if possible.

Thanks all

I used a black screen, stronger than just normal window screen, but obviously not as strong as wire.

What I found though is that it all really depends on the placement of your cage.

If your cage is in direct light all day, you may find there to be too much light. (Where black screen may help to shade some light)

On the other hand, If you can adequately provide shade and light at the same time throughout the entire day, a mesh screen would be much more durable

If I did my cage over, I would use chicken wire for the whole thing. I currently only have it on the bottom....

Thing is here though, that chicken wire only works for medium to adult chams. So I didnt think about it until he was older.

Also, does not protect against "other bugs" getting in.

Oh and I wouldnt worry about UVB coming in, I used a UVB meter to test mine and the Sun is a pretty powerful thing...it will get through.

I am going through the same thing, I went out and bought galvanized hardware cloth for durability and then someone told me they lost all there bearded dragons because fireflys came in and they ate the fireflys which are highly toxic, and they all died before they could even swallow them! So then I started thinking to use screen with the wire over it but that seems like total overkill! So now I am thinking the regular aluminum screen as long as they are not kept out at night. Fluxilizard has outdoor cages, and houses them out there all the time, he has photos and alot of outdoor element experiences, you might want to look him up

Thanks guys! I'm in the UK so the only thing that might cause me an issue are bees/wasps which would definitely be able to get through 13mm x 13mm mesh. Maybe the aluminium mesh is the better option then. It is epoxy coated so it should hold up alright outside.

Right then, with that in mind, i better get planning! :D

Back
Top Bottom