Outdoor basking?

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I want to get my girl outside sometime to feel the really sun on her back! Although I’m not sure how to get about doing that.
I don’t want to make a full outdoor enclosure but maybe a small temporary plant set up for her to use every once and awhile.
What do you guys think I should do? And what outdoor temps are the best?

So keep in mind full sun is much hotter than an ambient temp. So 80 outside and then in full sun can be more like 95. Too hot. So you just have to keep that in mind. I used to have a temp gauge outside with me. If she starts gapping she is too hot.

You can do a small plant just make sure you do not ever leave her outside alone and that you are sitting right there especially if you have larger predatory birds around or cats.

Or you can get a smaller cage say 18x18x36 for outside use and put a nice full plant in there with branches... hibiscus work great outside.

My guys love being outside but you do need ample shade for them to decide how much sun/shade they want. Keep in mind weather temps are always taken in the shade.

If you dont build a solid, secure outdoor enclosure, be surd to stay close and alert - and away from other trees. Not only are chams notoriously sneaky and fast when they are outside, but birds and other predators are abound. I usually stay within arms length and Im always watching the skies.

Cool thanks for the reply’s!! I’m thinking about getting a medium sized plant and creating a stick highway around/into it. Not sure what plant yet as I think I might keep it in my room when it’s not in use.

Cool thanks for the reply’s!! I’m thinking about getting a medium sized plant and creating a stick highway around/into it. Not sure what plant yet as I think I might keep it in my room when it’s not in use.

How about a ficus alii tree? Its the perfect cham plant - and so long as you have bright light it will do great insidr and out. You could use it indoors as a free range, too, and the branches are great so you dont even need yo add to it. Thats what I use for all my chams and free ranges (except the new one that is using oak). Ficus Benjamin is very similar with rounder leaves. Avoid fiddle leaf fig and ficus elastica.

99340F1E-7C0F-4B10-B0C1-A79B2BECAC11.jpeg

As many have said, please constantly by a watchdog. Especially veileds are kings and queens in opportunities! They‘ll constantly watch you until you‘re distracted and that’s when they strike fast, really fast. 1 minute not paying attention is enough to loose a veiled outside, trust me. Other species like a parsons or panther will stay for hours in an outside tree, but veileds will always seek higher ground.

Little escape artists! I have a place to put her that pretty much had no way to climb other than what she might get for a structure. Although she probably will try to find a way to escape

Back
Top Bottom