Out of the woods

iya78

They say that veiled chameleons when young are very fragile, what age is when you are past this delicate stage? My female baby veiled is I believe around a month old, she is eating pretty good, but for the past two days is not drinking, I get worried when I don't see her drink, usually when I spray the tank she crawls right up and begins to drink, I don't know what is up with her these past two days, I am worried about dehydration.

Tank?

PLEASE Fill out the how to ask for help form. PLEASE.

if you meant tank as in aquarium... there are obviously serious issues with your husbandry that need to be corrected immediately.

A one month old chameleon is very very delicate, not to mention small. Most breeders and stores will not sell chameleons less than three to fourth months old because of that. There is a very big ( huge ) difference in size and hardiness between a one month old and a four month old.

you are right if the viv is'nt tall enough then she will be very wierd my cham is 8 weeks old and yet i have only ever had a problem when i hAD a temporary viv which was a aquiremium cause i saved the cham .and needed to find a home for him fast he is now in a new home made viv which suites him nicely:Dhe was'nt eating nor drinking before then

People have said on here that a 10 gallon tank is fine for a baby cham as long as you watch the temperature and humidity. Regardless fill out the how to ask for help form, there is probably something else that you can be helped with regarding your cham =)

I got my panther when she was probally one month old and she was so tiny and fragile when I took her out of her shipping cup and put her in her enclosure I thought she would break! She is a little over 2 months now and has really bulked up and I would like to believe isn't so delicate.

One month is very young to sell a baby cham! Most people don't sell them on until they are around 3 months old. By this time, any weaker ones that are not going to make it will have died off and most should be feeding, drinking, pooping and shedding normally by that age too. I can't imagine how tiny your baby is! I got Amy at 3 months and that was small enough, it's scary when they are that small!

I was wrong, really wrong. I called the reptile store owner today and found out that she is 4 months. Sorry about posting wrong info, I shouldn't assume, but now I know. Thanks to those who let me know that pet stores do not sell them under 3 months, that is what really made me call, besides curiousity.

Last edited:
Is it a veiled? Veileds are huge in comparison to panthers at two months. Or at least minewas huge compared to a 3 month old panther. Mine did fine in a 16x16x30 cage from 2 months to 4 months then I put him in the 2x2x4 to see how he'd like it. Needless to say, he loved it and wouldn't leave, so I just set it up and left him in there and got another chameleon! :D

Is it a veiled? Veileds are huge in comparison to panthers at two months. Or at least minewas huge compared to a 3 month old panther. Mine did fine in a 16x16x30 cage from 2 months to 4 months then I put him in the 2x2x4 to see how he'd like it. Needless to say, he loved it and wouldn't leave, so I just set it up and left him in there and got another chameleon! :D

Ok. It is a veiled and Im starting him off in a 18x18x36. I will move him to a 24x24x48 at 9 or 10 months.

Ellron, just make sure you have everything on the caresheet on this website. and watch your basking temps very closely. thats where most new owners mess up and cook their baby. you can use a 20 watt bulb for babies and they should be fine. I raised many babies in glass ventilated tanks. Its much easier to monitor their feeding at that age in a partially glass tank. Also easier to control humidity. Just keep the bottom of your cage as dry as possible, If you are using glass. If you are make sure it has ventiation on top and at least one side so you get some air exchange. Your house may be colder than mine so you should use a dig therm before you just take my word on watt of light. But thats what ive used for my babies. good luck

So 80F would be a good basking temp?
I have a red bulb for basking , I've read you can just use a regular bulb. Can i use the red bulb until I need to replace it or should I replace it right away?

Last edited:
I keep small babies around 80. Just make sure he/she is well hydrated and that the cage isn't soaking wet all the time. Especially before lights out make sure that cage doesn't have a bunch of water on plants and on bottom. Its a delicate balance between their water needs and making sure the cage has a chance to dry.

Ditch the red bulb its junk. You could use it to heat something else though. I use plain old low watt incandescent bulbs. cheap and no worries about eye issues.

Alright. So the red bulb is junk. I will use a 65 watt clamped above the cage to get to 80F

Ok. It is a veiled and Im starting him off in a 18x18x36. I will move him to a 24x24x48 at 9 or 10 months.

18x18x36 will be hard to navigate for a 2 month old. Try a 12x12x18 first off the bat and a few months later move him into the 36, while nearing 10 months is a good age to move into the 48 incher.

Other wise he is going to have problems finding food and good basking spots.

I think is just depends, Pan did just fine and he even cup fed the first day home. I'd just watch carefully and have a back up plan in case he has a little trouble.

I think is just depends, Pan did just fine and he even cup fed the first day home. I'd just watch carefully and have a back up plan in case he has a little trouble.

Thats what I was planning on doing.
Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom