Oustalet's eggs not pipping post sweating

jpricewood

Hi everyone,

Well, I seem to be having a common problem, but I'll give this a shot in case someone has new insight. I think I've read every thread on this forum pertaining to sweating, pipping, and cutting.

So, I have 36 Oustalet's eggs that have been incubating for exactly 10 months. They came from a female removed from Florida during an invasive species removal project that I'm involved with. Hence, I don't know the age of the female or if the clutch is retained.

The first egg started sweating Friday night. The egg only emitted two small droplets then stopped sweating Sunday. It only shrank slightly and does have a small window.

The second egg started profusely sweating Sunday morning and has shrank some. Neither egg has pipped. Since Sunday, three other eggs have started sweating.

As of now, no eggs have pipped.

The eggs are fertile and do have veins. They have been kept in vermiculite that produces obvious moisture when squeezed but no more than one very small droplet of water comes out. I've never had problems with denting. They are kept in a Rubbermaid with a lid in a closet where temperatures have been between 73 and 76 for the duration of the incubation period.

I've been hesitant to intervene, but will if necessary. It just seems to be an arbitrary decision making process.

I would really appreciate any ideas even though I know that deciding to cut is often a difficult and personal choice. Plus, I need to use up the 100+ FF cultures covering my house.

Best,
Jared

I just tried to open the first one. The neonate was very light colored. There were also a high density of veins still around it. Almost didn't look fully developed to me, but I'll take a closer look and get some pictures.

The second egg pipped!!!!

Attachments

• IMGP0198.jpg
    IMGP0198.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 261
When do you all move them from the egg container to the bin? And what do you keep the ambient temps at? I was thinking around 80 for the first few weeks using just a Reptisun UVB strip.

Back
Top Bottom