oustalet chameleons

yoshi9

I am interested in purchasing an oustalet but I don't have much knowledge on them if anybody knows anything about them it would be a big help :) thanks!

Howdy...I keep mine in what I would say a less tropical enviroment compaired to a panther . They prefer warmer temps and a LOT of room to roam! When they are smaller they prefer a cage with a good amount of plantings..When older they tend(the large males) to stay out among the branches....During the warmer months here I keep all of mine outside..Max day time temps into the 90s+ nite time low 60s or so!!! Also there isn't a whole lot they wont eat just mix it up a bit... But as a super treat for them " grasshoppers"
As for the adcham article...??? what I have said above works for "ME"

Not only do Oustalet's get big but they're also pretty active. The bigger cage, the better. When it comes to food, they're not picky at all and, in fact, seem to eat more, proportionately, than other chameleon species on a daily basis. While they can get quite large, they're still happy to eat medium to large sized crickets. When it comes to temps, it's hard to say what's best, in my opinion. Unless you know the locale, Oustalet's really shouldn't be considered a "desert" species because it is so widespread. They're found side by side with panthers in Ambanja, Ambilobe, etc. on the west coast and makes sense that collectors would be bagging those as well as the panthers. I've had some that were fine outside down into the 40's while others that seemed to wilt below 60F at night. All in all though, I've always thought they're a really hardy species.

Not only do Oustalet's get big but they're also pretty active. The bigger cage, the better. When it comes to food, they're not picky at all and, in fact, seem to eat more, proportionately, than other chameleon species on a daily basis. While they can get quite large, they're still happy to eat medium to large sized crickets. When it comes to temps, it's hard to say what's best, in my opinion. Unless you know the locale, Oustalet's really shouldn't be considered a "desert" species because it is so widespread. They're found side by side with panthers in Ambanja, Ambilobe, etc. on the west coast and makes sense that collectors would be bagging those as well as the panthers. I've had some that were fine outside down into the 40's while others that seemed to wilt below 60F at night. All in all though, I've always thought they're a really hardy species.
i was thinking about keeping him in a 2x2x4 cage should it be bigger? So still not sure about the temps and humidity was thinking about keeping him towards the 70 or 80 for cage temp and 85 or so for basking. humidity at about 50%? hpw does all that sound? i have also read that they are tropical. If you could PLEASE get back to me my birthday is coming up and i was hoping to maybe get one and start on building a cage thank you so much!

That cage should be fine but I've kept singles in cages as large as 6 feet high and they tend to use most of it. I would start off keeping it like a panther. Wherever the Oustalet's source, you won't go wrong by erring on the more moderate side. In my experience, the more arid adapted ones don't seem to "need" a nightime temperature drop, they just tolerate it better than others that I assume were collected in the north.

Back
Top Bottom