Our Take on Enclosures (pics)

gpmo

So Stacy and I figured we would have a crack at some cages of our own. We took a long time but are very happy with the results.

As we bring in little ones for some rehab we wanted to use a material that is easy to clean and strip. So we made the cages from PVC 1x2 and Fiberglass window screening. The idea being we could literally throw the thing in the dish washer if it was big enough that is :) The screen can be easily removed and tossed and replaced with a new one. This helps for the pesky crickets that choose to gnaw their way to freedom and ruin your nice screen.
We also provided a way to place "walls" on three of the sides allowing us to control temps, humidity, and viewing angles as we needed. Also not that we have planned to but it will easily allow us to place the cages side by side for breeding introduction and control the situation as needed, if compatible easily remove screen and allow nature to happen at its own pace. Then easily replace screen and panel when needed.
The bottom of the cage has a support allowing us to easily place 30# of plants in and not worry about taking out our wonderfully shaped bottom panels that are gently bowled to allow water to drain into a container held underneath the cage. Also there is a support at the top of the cage with three positions that we are able to use for hanging of plants or environmental additions.
Last the cages are all pinned to a lower base that is removable and hides the drainage bin and allows for some extra space to store each little ones record notebook and any cham specific medicines.

All in all they turned out well, they are light easy easy to wipe down. They will never mold or rot and the screens are replaceable in minutes. Here are some pics, they aren't the greatest but is what i have.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

And now some occupied pictures :)
Our little Veiled female rescue. some may recognize from out other thread. This is her new home and is designed t minimize fall damage.
web.jpg

All of them together, please mind our mess this was set up day and still working out the bugs. Also you can't see the Mist King system is running neatly along the tops of the cages connecting all of them.
web.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

nice enclosures !

might i ask, what is the base (checkered floor) called ? & what is the cage constructed out of, i saw you mentioned pvc 1 x 2 but i tried looking that up and got nothing lol, did you make it out of screen holder ?

im planning on building a 2 x 4 x 4 later on in the year and i just wanna be able to have the resources available when i do decide to build it !

nice enclosures !

might i ask, what is the base (checkered floor) called ? & what is the cage constructed out of, i saw you mentioned pvc 1 x 2 but i tried looking that up and got nothing lol, did you make it out of screen holder ?

im planning on building a 2 x 4 x 4 later on in the year and i just wanna be able to have the resources available when i do decide to build it !

I forget what the flooring is called i found it in home depot near the fencing materials. The cage material is a PVC 1'X2" in a search you may try Vinyl panel. Its pricey but fit our needs.

nice enclosures !

That's called "light defuser"....

the checkered floor is egg crate ,it is sometimes used in marine fraging tanks because the holes are the right diameter for plugs , im sure you could get it from a hardware shop

the white stuff is a flourecant light cover/difuser, i also used it. you get it at any hardware store where the light fixtures are.

Stacy you and Paul did a great job on the cages. Very creative and looks great. Same quality you both put into rehabing rescues.

The 1"by 2" pvc are called plastic wood. You can buy it at home depot or Lowes. Easy to work with. We made knock off of exo terrariums with the plastic wood.
nice enclosures !

Thanks everyone. I'm a horrid carpenter so it took a long time, though the outcome is ncie for us. I like the pvc its great kindof wierd to work with but so easy to clean up and no rotting/molding.

Back
Top Bottom