Our New Baby Girl Penelope

vgaines

Well, the little female was still at Petco and believe it or not the problems I complained about Thursday night had been fixed. This weekend was their Reptile Roundup so she was on sale for $29.99 so I couldn't leave her there. I have been worried about her since we left Thursday evening so I knew I had to have her. She is now all tucked in in her new home. She is in a Exo Terra Glass Terrarium - 12 x 12 x 18 inch which I hope will be good until she is ready for the 18x18x24 all screen cage. I put paper towels on the bottom, a small bendy vine, some fake vines with leaves and a small piece of grape vine. I picked up a Zilla Slimline Tropical 25 UVB Fixture includes an 18" T8 Tropical UV fluorescent lamp. I hope that this will be ok for her. It was after her bed time when we got home so I will check her temp and humidity in the am. She is so cute and is a little feisty. I had to wake her up when I took her out of the take home box and she didn't like that at all. She tried to bite me and fired up. Her color and pattern was really cool. I will get more pictures tomorrow after she is up and moving around..

Penelope.jpg

Congrats Virginia! Veiled babies are adorable. I can't wait to see better pictures. :) I'm not to sure about that lighting. You might want to research that and make sure it's ok for her young eyes.

Congrats Virginia! Veiled babies are adorable. I can't wait to see better pictures. :) I'm not to sure about that lighting. You might want to research that and make sure it's ok for her young eyes.

The light came with a plastic cover which I removed. I wonder if i would be better to leave it on for a little while so it won't hurt her eyes. Guess I have a lot of reading to do on the care of baby veiled chams. I will be posting lots of pictures tomorrow. I picked up 70 small crickets which are being gut loaded on greens (collared and bok choy) tonight. I also have spirulina powder in with them. I hope she will eat tomorrow. Now to do some reading...:D

Penelope day 2 Pictures

Well, Penelope seems to be settling in. I put small crickets and mini meal worms in her habitat but so far she has not eaten. She is in my bedroom so hopefully she will eat while we are gone for the day. She did drink when I misted her this morning. At this time her basking temp is sitting right below 80* and humidity is around 50%.
photo_1[1].jpg

Penelope day 2 Pictures

For some reason it would only let me attach one picture... so here is the other one..

photo_2[1].jpg

She does not like to be messed with. She got all fired up and darkened up when we held her..lol She is feisty...

Last edited:
Yeah... Penelope ate...

Well, while we were out Penelope ate. :) I had put in aprox. 10 small crickets and 5 mini meal worms dusted in cal. with NO d3 and all were gone when I got home and checked on her. I have seen her drink every time I mist. Thanks for any and all advice. I am scared to death to have such a small chameleon and a female. :eek:

The light came with a plastic cover which I removed. I wonder if i would be better to leave it on for a little while so it won't hurt her eyes. Guess I have a lot of reading to do on the care of baby veiled chams. I will be posting lots of pictures tomorrow. I picked up 70 small crickets which are being gut loaded on greens (collared and bok choy) tonight. I also have spirulina powder in with them. I hope she will eat tomorrow. Now to do some reading...:D

I wouldn't put the plastic cover back on because UV can not pass through plastic. It was the brand Zilla that I've read bad things about on here.

She is such a little cutie! That's a really good sign that she is already eating and drinking. :)

I wouldn't put the plastic cover back on because UV can not pass through plastic. It was the brand Zilla that I've read bad things about on here.

She is such a little cutie! That's a really good sign that she is already eating and drinking. :)

darn.. Do you think I should put another piece of screen under the light? I'm not sure I can return the light. Guess I should do some looking in past posts to see what I can learn. Thanks again,
Virginia

Back
Top Bottom