Our new 175 gallon set-up

Charmander

Our new set-up is about %90 done!

We order the reptarium from eBay for $88.99. Great quality, melt-proof, but has a zipper. We rate 9 out of 10. It is 30x30x48.

The heat/basking lamp was $8.95 at our local feed store. 250 Watts. Rated 10 out of 10.

Flood light was $7.99 at Orchard Supply. 150 Watts. 10 out of 10.

Dripper was homemade. $3 for the hose and the dripper piece and I guess the price of milk...? Rated 7.5 out of 10 (only because it's ugly lol)

Linear UVB- Bought at Petco. 17 Watts. AWESOME. LOVE IT. $29.99. Rated 10 out of 10.

Linear Hood, was actually for a fish tank, but there was no reason we couldn't use it. 10 out of 10.

Plants (3) were $12.99 each, used bobby pins to hand temporarily, will tie them to the linear hood later. 9 out of 10.

Live plant is a Dracaena. $2.99 at Wal-mart and love it. 10 out of 10.

And now- the photos!

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

We still need to spread out the plants a bit and we wanted to add a few vines... but here it is thus far!

wait a sec...you are using a 250watt light for basking? what temperature are you trying to achieve with that??! What species of chameleon do you plan on housing. If it is a Panther or Veild the basking temp needs to be about 80 degrees for babies and juvies and you can bump that up 5-8 degrees or so for adults. That can usually be achieved with about a 40 watt bulb. Also, you say UVB. what type of UVB? There are many types 2.0 5.0 10.0 etc, desert, tropical. What is the exact specifics?. Chams need a certain type of lighting. And what is the flood light for? Also, not to criticize here, but you really need some branches and vines for climbing, or maybe you are getting those? ok, I see you are getting the vines!!! Also did you research if that plant is cham safe?

Last edited:
It has a 250watt capability, but the true output is nowhere near. We are averaging 80 degrees in the direct light. We are still in the process of putting more climbing branches and such in there.
The plant is Cham safe, made sure before purchasing it.
UVB is Tropical 10.0.

Also maybe put the whole enclosure on something, so it can be on a higher stance, its better for a cham i think. Mine always want to be on the top of everything...always on the top...
They like to look down to us not up. Everything comes from abowe means threat, predator or something that should be avoided.
And just for note: flexariums are not melt proof :) just can tolerate higher temps.
Good luck m8! :D

EDIT: I have the same flexarium, and its gonna be on the top of a board,, so the top of it gonna be at about 2,5 meters high (6,56 feet, 78,74 inches).

Also maybe put the whole enclosure on something, so it can be on a higher stance, its better for a cham i think. Mine always want to be on the top of everything...always on the top...
They like to look down to us not up. Everything comes from abowe means threat, predator or something that should be avoided.
And just for note: flexariums are not melt proof :) just can tolerate higher temps.
Good luck m8! :D

EDIT: I have the same flexarium, and its gonna be on the top of a board,, so the top of it gonna be at about 2,5 meters high (6,56 feet, 78,74 inches).

agreed, with Ricardo here! Elevate the cage up off the floor. They love being up high and should have some spot where they can be above eye level from you.

Hi Charmander,

First off your cage is going to be wonderful when it is finished :D I like reptariums. I use the 10.0 Reptisun on the reptarium because the thick mesh cuts the amount of UVB

I also use flood lights on my Melleri cages (Thank you Kevin ;)) for basking spots and they can get hot gradually and at that close of a range can give off a serious hot spot. With the way the reptarium holds heat you may want to consider swapping it out for a 60 or 71 watt house bulb or even a lower wattage flood light maybe the 45 watt. Just a suggestion ;)

What type of chameleon are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom