Our 1st Chameleon

brainsnbikes35

Hi all!
I am new to the forum and to having a chameleon companion. My fiancé and I just adopted this guy yesterday after about a year’s worth of researching. Can’t wait to join this community!

Kahlo sends his regards!

Attachments

• 3E0FB295-742F-43AA-B50E-ADA040BADF1A.jpeg
    3E0FB295-742F-43AA-B50E-ADA040BADF1A.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the forum. Beautiful little male you have there... The translucent veileds are fascinating to watch mature because their colors do not stay the same. Black and white can develop where there is translucent skin. They can end up with smaller amounts of translucent patches. Hopefully your research was done in the forum and at this site https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ If not double check your husbandry to ensure you got correct information.

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful little male you have there... The translucent veileds are fascinating to watch mature because their colors do not stay the same. Black and white can develop where there is translucent skin. They can end up with smaller amounts of translucent patches. Hopefully your research was done in the forum and at this site https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ If not double check your husbandry to ensure you got correct information.
Thank you, we are so excited to watch his colors change as he matures! We have been cross referencing from quite a few different websites and forums to hopefully have the best information. But I will be double checking, thank you for the info!

Thank you, we are so excited to watch his colors change as he matures! We have been cross referencing from quite a few different websites and forums to hopefully have the best information. But I will be double checking, thank you for the info!
The link I gave you for their husbandry program is accurate info. So cross compare what you have gotten and set up to that and you will be golden. Unfortunately there are many sites with incorrect info. Make sure his basking temp is no hotter than 80.

The link I gave you for their husbandry program is accurate info. So cross compare what you have gotten and set up to that and you will be golden. Unfortunately there are many sites with incorrect info. Make sure his basking temp is no hotter than 80.
It is 80 on the dot! We set up the cage a few days early and that was one adjustment we had to make! Yesterday, he seemed to like a mix of climbing near the basking branch and hanging out in the leaves from the pothos that we have in the cage.

It is 80 on the dot! We set up the cage a few days early and that was one adjustment we had to make! Yesterday, he seemed to like a mix of climbing near the basking branch and hanging out in the leaves from the pothos that we have in the cage.
sounds good. Just make sure little man is not screen climbing the top panel. And you got a T5HO UVB fixture? If so what bulb strength and what is your distance to the closest basking branch below it?

sounds good. Just make sure little man is not screen climbing the top panel. And you got a T5HO UVB fixture? If so what bulb strength and what is your distance to the closest basking branch below it?
We have been looking out for screen climbing (he did a little side climbing yesterday). We do! Sorry I can’t remember the bulb strength off the top of my head.
Here is a picture of the light setup (sorry for the quality it’s a screenshot from a video on my phone). The basking bulb is in the back left corner and the UVB fixture is in the middle/front

Attachments

• 2E56ECEC-7831-424F-A287-D81614BE78D4.png
    2E56ECEC-7831-424F-A287-D81614BE78D4.png
    676.9 KB · Views: 41
We have been looking out for screen climbing (he did a little side climbing yesterday). We do! Sorry I can’t remember the bulb strength off the top of my head.
Here is a picture of the light setup (sorry for the quality it’s a screenshot from a video on my phone). The basking bulb is in the back left corner and the UVB fixture is in the middle/front
So you want to double check your distances. Look at the end of the UVB bulb and it should be printed on it what strength it is. With a 5.0 or 6% bulb in your fixture type you need 8-9 inches to the basking branch below the UVB bulb. If it is a 10.0 or 12% bulb you need a full 11-12 inches. These distances with your fixture type keep the cham in a 3-4 UVI range. Which is where they should be. UVI levels get extremely high the closer they can get to the bulb to the point of over exposure.

So you want to double check your distances. Look at the end of the UVB bulb and it should be printed on it what strength it is. With a 5.0 or 6% bulb in your fixture type you need 8-9 inches to the basking branch below the UVB bulb. If it is a 10.0 or 12% bulb you need a full 11-12 inches. These distances with your fixture type keep the cham in a 3-4 UVI range. Which is where they should be. UVI levels get extremely high the closer they can get to the bulb to the point of over exposure.
I will do that tonight after work, thank you for the information!!

I will do that tonight after work, thank you for the information!!
where did you get it from also you might want more skinny branches it will make him feel more comfortable so his feet can grip all the way around it also i would add one more hanging plant in the middle of the enclosure since he is new you want to make sure he feels secure

Back
Top Bottom