Othos waterfall with bio-filtration

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ran across this earlier, it claims to filter out the bacteria that builds up in other waterfalls. Thoughts?
400F900B-85DF-47AF-8153-3D8B5471493B.png

Doesnt it take weeks for a biofilter to build up a bacterial culture needed for proper filtration?
This also means you can never clean the whole thing because youll flush out all good bacteria. If a feeder drowns in it and isnt noticed in time it may polute the water more than your bacteria culture is able to clean.

So if we're fully against water dishes for chameleons, I'd not advocate it.
I still think if your husbandry is ok there's no need to offer water in an alternate way.
But if this does work well it may be nice for supplying water during your vacation if there's noone there to help you out.
It may also be nice improvemenr for your other reptiles that get water from a dish.

But this is just my 2cents.

Bio filtration is what keeps a fish tank going. Problem is it takes about 5 weeks to build up the bacteria and if you clean it out, you will start over. If the power goes out, you start over. Even adding water to a small system could cause an issue.

This works by actually culturing a good bacteria but bacteria will still live in the water. Fish get bacterial infections. People get sick from drinking from streams where this process happens naturally.

This is no good for chameleons. This would be worse than a regular fountain that get dumped and filled every few days. Dont give these scammers money.

I found it on Facebook, that should tell you all you need to know about it!
I totally get the concept and thought of this myself. I know aquariums very well. After a minute of thinking, i realized it was know good. Its fine for certain critters. For instance, aquatic turtles should have bio and mechanical filtration to avoid a breeding ground for e coli and other nasties.

I
Bio filtration is what keeps a fish tank going. Problem is it takes about 5 weeks to build up the bacteria and if you clean it out, you will start over. If the power goes out, you start over. Even adding water to a small system could cause an issue.

This works by actually culturing a good bacteria but bacteria will still live in the water. Fish get bacterial infections. People get sick from drinking from streams where this process happens naturally.

This is no good for chameleons. This would be worse than a regular fountain that get dumped and filled every few days. Dont give these scammers money.
Well then I feel bad for the Cham drinking from it in there promo video

The only reason I gave it the time of day is because this is something that has been bothering me for a long time now. We discuss these things at least twice a month here. I know there has to be a way to make this work, the problem is making it work in a way that is feasible to maintain and at reasonable price point. Don’t know why it bugs me, just does....

The only reason I gave it the time of day is because this is something that has been bothering me for a long time now. We discuss these things at least twice a month here. I know there has to be a way to make this work, the problem is making it work in a way that is feasible to maintain and at reasonable price point. Don’t know why it bugs me, just does....
To make it work you would need a UV sterilizer built in and even then, idk how much bacteria would accumulate on the leaves and such. The water coming out of the sterilizer would be clean but as it travels up the tube an runs back down the waterfall, there would have to be bacteria for it to be picked up. Would it be enough bacteria to matter? Idk. We would need a microbiologist to test it. U.V. Sterilizer reduces the bacteria enough that fish dont get nearly as many diseases and algae doesnt grow much, so maybe.

To make it work you would need a UV sterilizer built in and even then, idk how much bacteria would accumulate on the leaves and such. The water coming out of the sterilizer would be clean but as it travels up the tube an runs back down the waterfall, there would have to be bacteria for it to be picked up. Would it be enough bacteria to matter? Idk. We would need a microbiologist to test it. U.V. Sterilizer reduces the bacteria enough that fish dont get nearly as many diseases and algae doesnt grow much, so maybe.
If I were to happen to know someone at LSU in the biology department would you help me spec out the parts that you think would be needed to make this work? I’ll pay for and build it but admittedly don’t know enough about the water/filtration side of the equation. Do we know if it’s a certain type of bacteria that creates a problem for the chams or is it a range?

If I were to happen to know someone at LSU in the biology department would you help me spec out the parts that you think would be needed to make this work? I’ll pay for and build it but admittedly don’t know enough about the water/filtration side of the equation. Do we know if it’s a certain type of bacteria that creates a problem for the chams or is it a range?
I can try to find an appropriate UV sterilizer. I mostly know the big ones. I once owned a wholesale business of ornamental fish where many tanks ran on one system and the UV sterilizer was about 4feet tall. Same principal, I just need to find its little brother. you could also plumb several fountains to one UV but again, I don't know how effective it will be.

I don't know what bacteria we are looking for, but UV sterilizers don't care. The other thing would be how much bacteria is too much. I used to drink from creeks that should have nearly killed me as a kid. I have a strong immunity. Someone else could get sick from rinsing their hands in the same creek. I'm told we are expose to Salmonella often... its a matter of how much. This may be a thing where we never know if its safe or not unless we have a control group of multiple chameleons and a group that use the UV sterilized water.. i'm assuming, that since chams never drink ground water in the wild, they have almost no immunity to bacteria found there.

Nicktide beat me too it.

Personally, I would custom build the water fall into the cage. Have the supply line go out of the cage, into a UV sterilizer, then into a sediment filter to catch the dead stuff. You could screen off the water in the bottom to make sure feeders can't fall in and plug the system up.

Here a decent cost sterilizer, I'm sure this would be enough. https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponic...dfHqizAGvc44OV9EHTB2kDe2wZrNI-eoaAno3EALw_wcB.

I thought and still am, debtaing using one of these on my water resovoir. To help kill bacteria in my fogger/resovoir.

Nicktide beat me too it.

Personally, I would custom build the water fall into the cage. Have the supply line go out of the cage, into a UV sterilizer, then into a sediment filter to catch the dead stuff. You could screen off the water in the bottom to make sure feeders can't fall in and plug the system up.

Here a decent cost sterilizer, I'm sure this would be enough. https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponic...dfHqizAGvc44OV9EHTB2kDe2wZrNI-eoaAno3EALw_wcB.

I thought and still am, debtaing using one of these on my water resovoir. To help kill bacteria in my fogger/resovoir.
So I’m assuming there is a pump in there somewhere?

Do we know if it’s a certain type of bacteria that creates a problem for the chams or is it a range?

Bacteria obviously comes from things such as feeders, poop, etc. Standing water alone won't just accumulate bacteria (I mean obviously some bacteria, but nothing significant) that will kill your chameleon; we see this in our tanks/reservoir for miskings. That's why standing water can actually work as long as you maintain it and clean it properly, which is really hard and cumbersome so I don't see why anyone would do it but I suppose if you can't afford a misting system...I know of some people who do that.

I just noticed is that a chameleon in the pic.

Haha, I have a strong feeling this product comes from the Reddit group.

Sad state of affairs, I just had to help a snail keeper who was sold UVB LEDs, not only did they sell her 385nm LEDs as UVB, they told her they will work through plastic and she could remove the screen and silicon acrylic to to her Viv tops........ Which I guess they were not lying about, the black light will show through the plastic.....

She is not a happy camper :(. When I told her they liked, she "wasted money and a ton of time" (her words)

Back
Top Bottom