Other Types of Reptiles...

Jerambis

Other than a Chameleon, what other types of lizards make good pets? I would like something a little more people friendly than chams. Are there any online reptile breeders that sell lizards other than chameleons? Thanks in advance.

Bearded dragons seem to be popular.

------
moving thread to 'Other Reptiles And Pets' forum

The only really personal lizard I have ever had was a simple iguana. After a couple years he was about 5' long and was more like a dog than a lizard. He had no cage really and hung out mostly on a cat jungle gym. But even he wasn't exactly personable, he hated being held or anything like that but he would just chill with us and watch tv and what not. He would even eat leftovers if we didn't clean up. I eventually had to give him away to a pet store cuz he just got too big for my little apartment in college. And when he was mad he could really do some damage.

As far as personable, a lizard will always be a lizard. But there are some that tolerate the handling much better. Such as Bearded Dragons, Uromastyx, Leopard Geckos, some larger Skinks, and the list goes on and on. It all depends on you, and what you want. It has to suit your lifestyle too. I find that the bigger more 'personable' lizards have a veggie and green intake for the most part. That's alot of work, especially herbivores like Uro's and some Skinks. I go to the grocery store 3 times a week for greens for the herbivores I have. It drives me crazy.

What size are you looking for?

What price range for animal? maintenance costs?

Ease of upkeep?

I second those questions!

I guess a smaller size lizard...no more than 2 feet when fully grown.

Price does not matter.

Same type of upkeep as a chameleon would be nice. (I find chams are fairly easy to care for).

I have crested geckos in addition to my chams.

Nice to be able to tie misting system into the other cages (use a solinoid to limit misting to less than cham)

Back
Top Bottom