Other than Chameleons, What else have you been addicted to/obsessed with?

I would have to say Bugs. lol I do do a lot of messing with bugs with SPF, but I also like to play a shoot em up video game, or even an adventure one. I also do a lot of gardening, flowers, herbs, veggies, medicinal herbs from China/Nepal, all kinds. Chams are just one of my many passions :)

-Dave
SPF

Art has been another one. Not so much in recent months (I took a semester of art school and hated it so much that I've been sort of reluctant to draw for fun since) but I do still do commission work as well, when I have a chance between tests and coursework. There's a link to my site in my signature.

Olimpia, your work is absolutely stunning. Have you thought about biological illustration? It requires a heavy biological studies background, which you have/are going to have, and you obviously have a gift for it. I've been looking into it myself but I'm unsure about getting a graduate degree in animal sciences. I'm tired of school :p

Olimpia, your work is absolutely stunning. Have you thought about biological illustration? It requires a heavy biological studies background, which you have/are going to have, and you obviously have a gift for it. I've been looking into it myself but I'm unsure about getting a graduate degree in animal sciences. I'm tired of school :p

Thank you so much! I did actually, I started art school in the hopes of continuing on to bio/medical illustration but I didn't like the environment or my teachers' definition of what is creative/good work, so I went back to full bio. I would have liked to continue but I don't think art is the environment for me full-time.

Ugh that really sucks. I really believe you would be welcomed at our program. They are even letting me do my thesis work exclusively on reptiles and amphibians :D Where are you attending?
Also, if your portfolio is strong enough, I don't think the art part of your resume is really all that important. A lot of creative fields are that way.

Art has been another one. Not so much in recent months (I took a semester of art school and hated it so much that I've been sort of reluctant to draw for fun since) but I do still do commission work as well, when I have a chance between tests and coursework. There's a link to my site in my signature.

Olimpia you've got some serious talent.. your art is amazing! May have to order something in the near future. Would look awesome in our "Chameleon Room"! And your background is Spanish... Mine too! Spanish and Cuban here. I also grew up in Florida :)

I didn't like the environment or my teachers' definition of what is creative/good work, so I went back to full bio. I would have liked to continue but I don't think art is the environment for me full-time.

I feel your pain! Trying to take more serious art classes just about ruined it for me because of the restrictions put on you to redirect your art to what they want. That's not what art is about! It made me stop drawing and painting for a long time actually because it was just such a bad taste to something I normally loved. It's much better for me as a hobby than a career because then you can do whatever you want and enjoy it for what it is instead of being forced into a template...just had to rant with you a little. :)

For me, Red eye tree frogs, the two sports I do (M.M.A and rowing crew), and I used to be abscessed with paintball.

Ugh that really sucks. I really believe you would be welcomed at our program. They are even letting me do my thesis work exclusively on reptiles and amphibians :D Where are you attending?
Also, if your portfolio is strong enough, I don't think the art part of your resume is really all that important. A lot of creative fields are that way.

That's nice, most people are iffy about reptiles. I'm currently at Florida Tech, doing my biologies. It's true that I could probably find work doing free lance illustrations without an art degree but to be a real medical illustrator you need a masters med illustration and I don't know if I can deal with it for a couple years lol But that's the only way to make the good money in that type of illustration, unfortunately.

Olimpia you've got some serious talent.. your art is amazing! May have to order something in the near future. Would look awesome in our "Chameleon Room"! And your background is Spanish... Mine too! Spanish and Cuban here. I also grew up in Florida :)

Thank you! You know where to find me if you ever do want to :) Awesome, have you lived your whole life here or did you ever live in Cuba/Spain? I moved here when I was about 8-9.

I feel your pain! Trying to take more serious art classes just about ruined it for me because of the restrictions put on you to redirect your art to what they want. That's not what art is about! It made me stop drawing and painting for a long time actually because it was just such a bad taste to something I normally loved. It's much better for me as a hobby than a career because then you can do whatever you want and enjoy it for what it is instead of being forced into a template...just had to rant with you a little. :)

I feel the same way, it seems like it'll have to be a hobby and not so much a profession. I really hated that in the strict technical classes, where we were supposed to be fine tuning our techniques and skills when it comes to the basics like shading and perspective, a kid would get fawned over by the teacher if he abstracted a woman and wrote profanities across the whole paper. And I just thought, no no no. This can't be what's admired in a class like this.

That, and I used to have to argue with my teachers about science stuff. But really basic stuff. Like, apparently red is not a color found in nature! Which prompted me to list a dozen things that are red in nature. Or apparently Pangaea is a country. I just didn't fit in lol Let's just leave it at that. I'm better suited for science.

That sucks guys!!! You must be going to the wrong schools :( . I go to a State University and they are so open minded. They also have visiting artists come and critique us though. We get a lot of help with personal development. Maybe the more prestigious places are about "cookie cutter"(post-modern) artists.

Chamleons, crested geckos, collecting anything to do with them, such as figurines, earrings, charms, pendants, t shirts, etc! I also love nail polish and nail art like the OP. Also more expensive things like cars and mobile phones, lol! Am happy with my current car and mobile though but I am getting a new cham at the end of the month and I can't wait! Preparations have already begun!:D

Chamleons, crested geckos, collecting anything to do with them, such as figurines, earrings, charms, pendants, t shirts, etc! I also love nail polish and nail art like the OP. Also more expensive things like cars and mobile phones, lol! Am happy with my current car and mobile though but I am getting a new cham at the end of the month and I can't wait! Preparations have already begun!:D

Tiff, i'd like to welcome you to 2011 where Mobile phones are now called cell phones :p however, i would love to snag a cham shirt or two. chameleons arent a real popular item when it comes to reptile/pet collectables, so somewhat hard to find in retail. HOWEVER,.... my birfday is coming up :rolleyes::cool:;)

you ever go to comic-con?

This is Chip Chipperson, welcome to comical con:D

Other obsessions for me are skateboarding, guitar/music, astronomy/space, ancient civilizations, hiking/camping/outdoors activities, swimming in creeks and rivers, going out herping and spotting other cool animals in the wild.

Im sure I forgot a few like...........sexy women:cool:

Back
Top Bottom