Other reptiles

Toothless the cham

Established Member
I'll try to keep this post short and sweet. Is there any other reptiles that can live in a similar enclosure to chameleons? I would like to repurpose one of my chameleon terrariums.

There are so many that can- geckos, lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, the list goes on and on. It is all about how you add to the habitat.
Sounds like a fun project.. (y)
What critters do you like?

FYI - I am originally from Dolton- not to far from Chi-town (south). (y)

lizards I've researched the most but I would say many geckos would do well in a 2x2x4 like tokay, crested, gargoyle, chahoua geckos, or abronia

There are so many that can- geckos, lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, the list goes on and on. It is all about how you add to the habitat.
Sounds like a fun project.. (y)
What critters do you like?

FYI - I am originally from Dolton- not to far from Chi-town (south). (y)
Geckos and lizards peak my interest mostly. But I do like the idea of a snake as well

Something fun- is a small group of Anolis and expand from there. Some of the smaller lizard species can be kept together and cohabitate well. The issue is to many males needing their own territory. So, if you go that route make sure you know male from female at the place you purchase from. Many times, at Petco/Smart, they have large males living together, but if you gave them space, they they will fight (common anoles). I have not worked with any of the exotic type just brown and green commons.

If you work well with geckos there are some real cool Tokay gecko morphs, but they tend to be aggressive if you don't have the time.

If you go with Leopard Geckos, they will climb even if most set-ups are not set-up for arial. They will climb all over in the evening and return to the ground during when sleeping.

There are many small species of snakes that you can create a nice habitat for and even put in a Tupperware water container with small filter to help keep the odor down. (clean habitat and water is always important for healthy animals).

My suggestion would be to work backwards a little. Think of the ideal habitat you can produce- then look at critters that live in that habitat- then see what is available. Or know what you want and create the perfect home. (y)

Check out pros and cons -- ask people and visit sites that are species only. There is information on just about everything you can. I belong to amphibian, saltwater, freshwater, reptile and other forums. Even those have breakdown forums specific to others species.
Example: I use to do saltwater, then did seahorses (their own site) then did cuttlefish and octopus.

I apologize if this is to much info, but I don't know your expertise, so I start from the lowest level. Please don't be offended. (y)

Frilled lizards
Water dragons
Mountain Horned dragon
Cuban false or new world chameleon
Mexican alligator lizard
Prehensile skink
Standing day geckos
Or Draco Volans

If you live US might have restrictions on certain species and think legislation is changing for cross state restrictions to alot of exotics, so might have to consider your options from what's available.

I'd consider carefully whether diurnal, nocturnal, or crepuscular make a difference to your, and/or your family's lifestyle(s).

Chameleons are diurnal, so usually work in well with most folks work & home schedules.

Would an animal/reptile that you never see (or only see briefly around dawn or dusk) appeal to what you envision? :unsure:

I absolutely love the look and idea of keeping a Leachie (the Shar Pei of Geckos), but they're nocturnal, so realistically I have to pass on one. :(

Back
Top Bottom