other lizzards for cham or bearded draggon

edward82

i live in indiana and i was outside messing around and i found a salmander...i was wondering if it would be safe to feed the salamander to my chameleon or my bearded dragon..i turned it loose because i didnt know if it woudl be safe...so my question is would it have been ok to feed it to either one or none at all..i know anoles are ok to feed to them both...any advise is appreciated...thanks very much i love this site..everyone is so helpfull

Hello!

Here is a portion of the "Chameleon Foods" section of the Resources page (https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/):

"Vertebrates (pinkies, lizards, etc.) are not a notable part of a chameleon's normal diet in the wild. Too many animal proteins in the diet of an animal that's not a carnivore can wreak havoc on their kidneys leading to kidney damage and gout due the difference in protein breakdown. Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and supplementation."

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Therefore, best to stay away from vertebrates to be safe. Maybe you could try a varying bug prey? Have you tried silk worms, horn worms, butter worms, or maybe roaches if you feed crickets?

As for a bearded dragon, I'm afraid to say that I'm not entirely sure. I have heard of people feeding their beardies pinkie mice, though I am not sure if it is recommended.

This was the biggest discussion yesterday...Some people said yes, others said no. In my opinion, I wouldn't feed a lizard to another lizard. I know they eat whatever in the wild, but they also get sick and die younger. And one of the biggest issues with wild caught food is parasites and pesticides. I would do some research and go from there. If you think it's a good idea, go for it :)

no i didnt think it would be good thats why i didnt feed it to the bearded dragon ..i was basicly just wondering ..and also like was said my cousin feeds his beardy pinky mice..but mine has never had such...thats not me ..but thanks i was wondering about that...and as far as food mine has had everything but roaches...horn worms , mantids, super worms, flys,.grass hoppers, crickets etc

I don't do well with feeding the live feeders...I'm ok with the crickets and worms, but lizards and mice are a no go. I could never own a snake or anything that would require those feeders. I don't see why people would feed a lizard to a lizard...just doesn't seem right. lol. They get the nutrients they need from the insects and then they get even more from the supplements. :)

i live in indiana and i was outside messing around and i found a salmander...i was wondering if it would be safe to feed the salamander to my chameleon or my bearded dragon..i turned it loose because i didnt know if it woudl be safe...so my question is would it have been ok to feed it to either one or none at all..i know anoles are ok to feed to them both...any advise is appreciated...thanks very much i love this site..everyone is so helpfull

many, many amphibians have toxic secretions from their skin glands that at best make them completely unpalatable, at worst can be fatal. feeding off a salamander or newt is NOTHING like feeding off another lizard. i would strongly discourage you from trying it!

o—

Back
Top Bottom