Other addition today... Flap Neck

panthercrazy

Here is the other arrival today, Flap Neck.

When I opened the box, he did appear some stressed but come straight out onto my hand, up my arm as if to say "Thank-you...finally out of that thing!"
His eyes appeared to be somewhat sunken as well.

I got him into his enclosure and offered water. This guy drank like a fish 3 times has now settled into his home. I think he is just amazing, but then again they all are!

Thought I'd share some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 185
He's wild caught, malnourished and dehydrated. He doesn't look completely horrible though and can be turned around.

To start, I suggest a good rehydrating shower of at least 30 minutes today then I'd put him back in his cage and ignore him. Ignore might not be the right word, but NO handling. NO pictures. NO staring at him etc. until he settles into the routine of the house. Offer him good, healthy gutloaded insects on a daily basis. The dilepis have good appetites but don't gorge themselves usually.

Flapnecks, for the most part, can be kept like Veileds with some minor tweeking for higher humidity levels.

Perhaps a check up at the vet/fecal would be prudent within the next few weeks.

Good luck,
Trace

He's wild caught, malnourished and dehydrated. He doesn't look completely horrible though and can be turned around.

To start, I suggest a good rehydrating shower of at least 30 minutes today then I'd put him back in his cage and ignore him. Ignore might not be the right word, but NO handling. NO pictures. NO staring at him etc. until he settles into the routine of the house. Offer him good, healthy gutloaded insects on a daily basis. The dilepis have good appetites but don't gorge themselves usually.

Flapnecks, for the most part, can be kept like Veileds with some minor tweeking for higher humidity levels.

Perhaps a check up at the vet/fecal would be prudent within the next few weeks.

Good luck,
Trace

Thanks Trace, I appreciate your suggestions.
I was planning on vet trip, I knew this guy coming was wild caught. They said that he has been in their care for 2 months and they had not done the fecal.
I'll do the shower this morning, but was concerned that may stress him too much thus the reason I was offering plenty of water last night.

Thanks Trace, I appreciate your suggestions.
I was planning on vet trip, I knew this guy coming was wild caught. They said that he has been in their care for 2 months and they had not done the fecal.
I'll do the shower this morning, but was concerned that may stress him too much thus the reason I was offering plenty of water last night.

Excellent! :D

The Flaps, while maybe not as flashy as the other species you keep, are definitely interesting to work with. Their personalities, demeanor and habits are certainly different than the average species.

Good luck, keep us posted on his progress.

Cheers,
T

Oh he is enjoying his shower :) !!! And I was worried it may stress him more.

I put a large ficus inside shower, with a few branches being hit with the water only. I snuck a peak around curtain so that he wouldn't see me, to check on him.

He is just at the start of the spot where water is hitting the plant, drinking away. His color has gone to a nice bright green? Is this a content color?

Oh he is enjoying his shower :) !!! And I was worried it may stress him more.

I put a large ficus inside shower, with a few branches being hit with the water only. I snuck a peak around curtain so that he wouldn't see me, to check on him.

He is just at the start of the spot where water is hitting the plant, drinking away. His color has gone to a nice bright green? Is this a content color?

It sure is. Sounds like everything is going well. Depending on his personality, he may get agitated when he's had enough of the shower - some of my guys do that. Some will chill in there all day. Obviously keep your eye on him which you seem to be doing. I'm not sure where you are in Alberta but if the weather is nice, put him outside - the sun/natural elements will do him a world of good too.

Cheers,
T

flapnecks are a great species..i have two cb flaps and they are an interesting species and can be very hardy

It sure is. Sounds like everything is going well. Depending on his personality, he may get agitated when he's had enough of the shower - some of my guys do that. Some will chill in there all day. Obviously keep your eye on him which you seem to be doing. I'm not sure where you are in Alberta but if the weather is nice, put him outside - the sun/natural elements will do him a world of good too.

Cheers,
T

Southern Alberta. We are having some gorgeous weather, 29 yesterday and about 27 today is expected. I thought about that on my deck, where I can ensure some shade with sunny spots for him. Would it be ok to do this now with his enclosure (I won't switch him back and forth, should say from outside to inside enclosure, to reduce stress) or should I allow him his settling in time first?

Wow! Perfect weather. I'd put him outside and leave him there 24/7; rain or shine. In fact, if you have the room, I'd put your whole collection out there for the summer. They will love you for it.

Wow! Perfect weather. I'd put him outside and leave him there 24/7; rain or shine. In fact, if you have the room, I'd put your whole collection out there for the summer. They will love you for it.

Just what I wanted to hear.... I got the room, maybe too much. If I move 'em out there gives me time to set up cham room better and create more space:D.... Uh oh....such an awesome addiction these guys are!!

I have moved my collection outside now.

Trace, I put the Flap in the far corner away from the more used part of my deck. This way he doesn't see anyone or is bothered at all. The only time he does, is during misting (which almost done the automatic set up for outside) and feeding. He ate 2 nice big silks yesterday, has chowed down his crickets this morning, & drinks each time misted. Do you think the one shower will have been plenty for him as long as I keep up on the misting?? His color this morning once awake, is a nice green as was in the shower yesterday.

I'm thinking the location of my deck & the partial covering is going to work out very well for the chams. I get early morning sun, until about 11am and then late afternoon again up until about 6-7pm. The major heat of the day sun they will not be in.

Thanks again for suggestions/advice/comments.:) I'll keep his progress updated and get some pictures after a few weeks of him being here.

Excellent news. :D Sounds like everything is going well with him and the rest of your posse. Your deck sounds perfect too; can I move my chams there for the summer?

I usually don't give further rehydrating showers to new arrivals after the initial long one; my daily misting regime is usually fine. That said, it's not going to hurt him if you feel he needs more. You can always increase the length of the outdoor mistings for the next little bit too. I know you've done your research on the Flaps (and his WC aspect) but it would be remiss of me if I didn't say that on extra hot days one must offer more water to chameleons living outside. I also wouldn't let him gorge himself on bugs right now to help him put on weight. He'll naturally do that now that he's in a better situation with proper husbandry and less stress. As I said before the dilepis have a healthy appetite but don't pig out on a daily basis. (Unlike female Veileds that will eat themselves stupid if given the chance :rolleyes:)

Yes. Please. I'd like an update on the little man. I was going to ask that. Have you decided on a name yet?

Cheers,
Trace

Excellent news. :D Sounds like everything is going well with him and the rest of your posse. Your deck sounds perfect too; can I move my chams there for the summer?

Lots of room still :) lol

I usually don't give further rehydrating showers to new arrivals after the initial long one; my daily misting regime is usually fine. That said, it's not going to hurt him if you feel he needs more. You can always increase the length of the outdoor mistings for the next little bit too.
I know you've done your research on the Flaps (and his WC aspect) but it would be remiss of me if I didn't say that on extra hot days one must offer more water to chameleons living outside.
Absolutely understandable. I see too often that this is over looked thinking that the same set up for indoors, controlled heat is the same requirements as outside naturally.?? I was thinking between my hand misting I will be doing, that I'll set up the automatic to allow a slow drip every 2-3 hours for 3 minutes or so, to ensure they are offered plenty opportunities to drink. I'll watch closely how this works and adjust as needed. Even though the sun may not directly be on the deck at times, it is covered partially and does hold in some extra heat.
I also wouldn't let him gorge himself on bugs right now to help him put on weight. He'll naturally do that now that he's in a better situation with proper husbandry and less stress. As I said before the dilepis have a healthy appetite but don't pig out on a daily basis. (Unlike female Veileds that will eat themselves stupid if given the chance :rolleyes:)

I understand the gorging all too well. I have a rescue female veiled who was in horrible shape, stayed black for the first 6 days, no misting ever, waterfall only (how did she survive??),skinny, tiny about same size as my 5month panther girl(veiled is approx 1.5 yr old)...all she wanted was food!! It was/is very difficult to restrict the food intake but I agree it is much healthier to allow them some and naturally gain weight.

Yes. Please. I'd like an update on the little man. I was going to ask that.
:)
Have you decided on a name yet?

Not completely yet, I would like to see his personality some first. If my little girl has her way, he'll be known as "Flapper". Original isn't it?? lol

Back
Top Bottom