OT - other lizard eggs

lele

Avid Member
I know this is off topic, but could use an opinion...

Ana, my little blotchie girl, finally laid her 4 eggs tonight. All of them have dents in them, one looks almost pinched. Is this OK? Is it just b/c the eggs aren't "filled up" yet? I have never bred anything so first time with eggs. Here are pics
Ana's eggs

thanks!

eggs...

That's not a good sign. I know that they do that when they are too dry and you can rehydrate them, but being laid that way may be a sign of infertility. Is Ana a chameleon?

Jerm

Jerm said:
Is Ana a chameleon?

No, she is a side-blotched lizard (Uta stansburiana). I just got them on a whim and was OK with the breeding thing since they are small, easy to care for and only lay a few eggs. I'll keep them incubating for a while to see. Never had an interest (time, space or $$!) to breed any other herps - especially those that incubate for 9 months! lol! :eek:

thanks for your reply :)

Yeah, panther eggs are pretty frustrating. I have 3 different clutches that were laid at 2 months apart each and they all look like they are getting ready to hatch. But thats what is so frustrating, they "look" like they are getting ready to hatch. I have one clutch that has "looked" like it was going to hatch out 3 months ago and still nothing.:mad: I have 165+ eggs incubating and I was hoping to spread out their hatching over a years time, but its not turning out that way. I have a feeling I am going to be overrun with neonates in the future.:eek: I hope I have enough room.

Jerm

I don't know how you guys do it! Besides the space, $$ and time - how do you possibly find GOOD homes for all of them? I'd be so worried about their new homes I'd end up keeping them all!! :eek:

I actually have a serious issue with that. I feel like people should go through an application process before I sell to them, but I can't do that. I know a few people who want a couple, but I am going to have a hard time with the rest. I know that they won't all hatch. I actually tried to slow down my female's production by not breeding her but it didn't slow her down at all. She still laid a clutch 2 days ago with 42 eggs and they look fertile but she hasn't bred since before her previous clutch. Anyway, are there many people breeding Uta stansburiana? I really don't know much about them.

Jerm

cover them will a moist towel they just need to hydrate some. i use to breed florida scrub lizards and fence lizards and the are all related to each other give them time and keep them moist and in 6-8 weeks the should hatch

jvillereptile said:
cover them will a moist towel

So you think the dents will fill out? Do you mean lay a moist towel right on the verm they are sitting in or over the container? Would it be helpful if I cover the eggs lightly with the vermiculite rather than having them exposed? I have them in a plastic critter keeper with a towel on top to keep heat and moisture in. Should I use a different type of container? Just can't invest in an incubator as these will be the only herps I'll ever be breeding (she says NOW - lol!) I am using a heating pad setup. I have a UTH and wonder if that would give off more consistent heat. I have them sitting on about 2" of verm.

Here is a pic of the setup - it's a mini critter keeper.
2404741570056129840OAAVic_ph.jpg

2058808460056129840StIwzj_ph.jpg

do I have too much verm? What temps did you keep them at? I was told 80-85 and am using a temp gun to check.

Any other tips appreciated! thanks!

I'm no help Lele, but excited for you and keeping my fingers crossed! How cool it would be for you to have 4 little blotchies! They're a pretty pair you have!

first off the eggs only need to be incubate at 85 degrees and the heat pad will dehydrate the vermiculate to fast . the moist towel should be place over the eggs and the vermiculate to help keep it moist. here is a picture of some anole eggs i found yesterday in my box turtle cage

Attachments

• DSCN0921.JPG
    DSCN0921.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 288
Thanks!

LunaC said:
I'm no help Lele, but excited for you and keeping my fingers crossed! How cool it would be for you to have 4 little blotchies! They're a pretty pair you have!

I got these two as an impulse buy at a show last month - something I NEVER do!:eek: I am still surprised at myself, but they are easy and fun. Hope the eggs make it - will know in a month or so:D

jvillereptile said:
first off the eggs only need to be incubate at 85 degrees and the heat pad will dehydrate the vermiculate to fast . the moist towel should be place over the eggs and the vermiculate to help keep it moist.

Yes, I was told 80-85 degrees and I use a temp-gun to measure temps. I live in NH so need some sort of heat source ;)

I moved them to a closed container with a few holes poked and set them on an UTH with screen on top (of UTH) to disperse heat evenly. They are holding at 86. I will put the moist towel on them. Is a heat source from above better than below? Like a ceramic heater? I would assume not, but have one if need be.

Again, thanks for help :)

I used to incubate random eggs from a petstore that I used to work for in a simple setup that might work for these eggs if nothing else does. You make it out of a 10gal. apuarium, a submersable aquarium heater, a glass lid (for the 10 gal. tank), 2 bricks and a container with the eggs inside. I can give you better details if you are interested in this method.

Jerm

Back
Top Bottom