organic soil

Abba's Amanda

Established Member
I'm going shopping tomorrow for organic soil. The town that has Lowe's and Home Depot is an hour away, so can you guys tell me a brand or what I should look out for? I need to re pot a pothos, but I don't know if all soil that is labeled organic is truly organic. Is there something I should beware of, or is there a brand you can recommend?
Or if you have a link of something online, I can just order it. It doesn't matter to me how I buy it as long as it's kosher so to speak :) Thanks in advance!

Wondering the same, i've been using 50/50 cocofiber and playsand which has been alright. Haven't had any pests, plants seem fine, but they don't really grow fast. I heard organic soil can have problems with gnats and other bugs. Some people have said bake it, but anyway interested to hear others input.

If the pothos will be watered by the mister, directly, I recommend people order "wicking mix" from eBay or and African violet vendor and covering the soil with something to prevent chameleons ingesting it. "Organic" soil can still have perlite and additives that are organic, but pose an ingestion risk. These items are needed to prevent the soil from being too dense and causing rot. Most bagged soils are too dense for use in wet situations.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but do any of you have a link for where to get this? I'm not really sure what it is or what to look for. And it should be used for all of our plants, or just pothos?

Safe, yes, but I've never seen a commercial wicking mix. Most wicking mixes are made by the seller and are not available in this prepackaged form, so I have no idea if is it loose/aerated enough. It will certainly be better than any potting mix you'd buy at a box store and yes, it's suitable for all plants. Key points to remember:
This will contain particles to aerate the mix, which are not toxic, occur naturally, BUT STILL CAN CAUSE BLOCKAGES, so cover it with a small covering of plain peat moss or coir/coco brick bedding.

This mix is designed to allow the roots of plants to function in a constantly wet environment. Do not push down and compact the soil too much. Lightly tap the bottom of the pot on the table 3 times or lightly firm the soil by hand.

Because the mix is airy, if it isn't getting watered directly by the mister, it will dry fairly quickly and you will need to water your plants more often.

great appreciate the info. I see some on ebay as well, so whatever the case just put coco fiber on top, and I also cover with rocks as it is. I thought people said coconut fiber could build up as well, so I figured I'd cover it just incase. Right now I have a 50/50 mix of playsand/fiber

Wondering the same, i've been using 50/50 cocofiber and playsand which has been alright. Haven't had any pests, plants seem fine, but they don't really grow fast. I heard organic soil can have problems with gnats and other bugs. Some people have said bake it, but anyway interested to hear others input.
Drain some boiling water through it alot easier.

Back
Top Bottom