Ordered male, received female Blue Bar Ambilobe

Mayagonz79

Hello everyone, I recently ordered a male Blue Bar Ambilobe Panther Chameleon from Backwater Reptiles on-line. As the little guy reached his 5th month, no kind of coloration. I e-mailed Backwater Reptiles & upon review of the pictures, they came to the conclusion that she is in fact a female. As a first time Panther Chameleon owner I had/have no idea how to sex this awesome lizard except to look for the coloration that males begin showing between 4-6 mths of age. They advertised a male. I purchased & ordered a male, and received a female. I was told that because it’s been so long that I purchased her, they cannot offer me a male at $0 cost. I was told I can get a male at a discounted price. Is this a normqoCan anyone advise me on what to do? Thanks for reading...sorry so long![Image]

Hello, Mayagonz

Unfortunately, these little guys can be very tricky to sex when they are younger. I went to the website and backwater reptile's states...

"Sexing Your Panther Chameleon
Please feel free to request a male or female lizard (or any combination thereof) when you order our medium and adult sized animals, but please be aware that we cannot guarantee the sex. However, we can guarantee that someone very experienced with reptiles will attempt to select the specific lizard(s) you are requesting."

I'm not sure if there is much more you can do other than what was offered by backwater reptiles. Also, you photo is not showing up for me.

I am so sorry for your situation! Try to find out what the genealogy of the chameleon is (who are her parents and where did they come from, you need names of parents and breeders)! A lot of breeders might be interested in trading your female for a male. Each party paying their own shipping if your chameleon is in good condition!

Best of luck!

Hello, Mayagonz

Unfortunately, these little guys can be very tricky to sex when they are younger. I went to the website and backwater reptile's states...

"Sexing Your Panther Chameleon
Please feel free to request a male or female lizard (or any combination thereof) when you order our medium and adult sized animals, but please be aware that we cannot guarantee the sex. However, we can guarantee that someone very experienced with reptiles will attempt to select the specific lizard(s) you are requesting."

I'm not sure if there is much more you can do other than what was offered by backwater reptiles. Also, you photo is not showing up for me.

ChamDe86, I went to the website right after receiving their e-mail & I saw this too. I am bummed to say the least. I will deal with it if I can just find her a good home & get some of my money back for her. Her picture is my avatar. Thanks for your help.

I am so sorry for your situation! Try to find out what the genealogy of the chameleon is (who are her parents and where did they come from, you need names of parents and breeders)! A lot of breeders might be interested in trading your female for a male. Each party paying their own shipping if your chameleon is in good condition!

Best of luck!
Thank you so very much for the tip! I would've never thought of that one on my own nor did I know some breeders actually do that??? I am surprised Backwater won't take her back for a portion of what I paid & apply that to my male. I feel bad trying to give her up, but she's just not what I wanted. I will definitely look into what you suggested. Thanks again!

Let us know about the breeder and lineage! At the least try to get a picture of her Sire! Who knows, knowlege is power! If her dad was amazing, she will be gone quick! I might even be interested!

I would keep complaining, a panther chameleon is not the hardest species to sex even young. Males are almost always priced significantly higher, did you pay more for one?

I got a male Panther baby at a young age and my breeder had no problem giving me a male out of 360 babies sounds like to me they just pick what ever and hide behind their disclaimer sorry you had to deal with that but she is beautiful and looks healthy count your blessings there.

I would keep complaining, a panther chameleon is not the hardest species to sex even young. Males are almost always priced significantly higher, did you pay more for one?

This is an important thing. If there is a price difference I would definitely demand the difference since what you got was not what you paid for.

Chase

No, I actually paid the same & they are wanting to give me like a $35 discount!

To be honest....they dont exactly have the best customer service record anyway a quick youtube search will tell you that.

Hi! I am awaiting a response from Backwater regarding her lineage.

Hey Matt, below you'll find the response I got from Backwater Reptiles regarding my female's lineage. I'm also attaching a pic of her possible Sire. These people are a joke! Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Hi Aurora,
Unfortunately we do not have record of our Panther Chameleons sires or exact locality due to our ever changing inventory but I have attached a snapshot of one of our main male breeders here at our facility for your review.
Thank you! :)

Amanda
Backwater Reptiles
Fax: (512) 646-3194

Attachments

• Blue Bar Panther Chameleon.jpg
    Blue Bar Panther Chameleon.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 511
Unfortunately we do not have record of our Panther Chameleons sires or exact locality due to our ever changing inventory but I have attached a snapshot of one of our main male breeders here at our facility for your review.

I am not experienced with reptile breeders but that's one sad excuse made by the breeder who is supposed to be professional. But as I said I am not used to reptile breeders so I can not judge if this is standard or not but for me that is sloppy and not serious businesses made by that breeder. I have met people breeding bunnies that acts more professional. But yeah, I am really just brought up in a kennel and are used to different standards in the breeding society

Back
Top Bottom