Orange urates

My veiled chameleon has orange urates lots of the time. I know it's cause of hydration but i soak him, spray him, I have a drip system but he only drank from it the first time I used it, I have even tried to give him a shower but he doesn't really like it. 6/10 times the urates are half orange and half white. 4/10 times they are almost fully orange, please help. Thanks.

What type of feeders are you giving him? You could try some hornworms or silkies to add moisture to his diet.

Hey I'm having an issue with my female right now - she's pretty much quit drinking water it appears- her urates are 100 percent orange and they are rather small as well ... This has been happening for about 5 days now straight and I'm getting really concerned .... The only thing I've been doing to keep her from getting really terribly dehydrated is that I've been spraying her face with water and getting droplets stuck on her lips and then she opens her mouth and takes the droplet in but I cannot seem to get her to drink when it mists she either hides or doesn't care and the drippers are constantly going but she doesn't seem to care about it anymore ... Someone told me she might be about to lay eggs but I put a laying bin in the cage and she won't go into it AT ALL. Not sure what to do but I can't order silkworms right now because they aren't available ... Anyone know how long she can go with orange urates and what I can do to help her ???

Also not really keen on doing the shower method - I don't have a fake plant and I don't think the chlorine / fluoride and other things in the water would be ok for my chameleon

Hey Peej, sorry to hear your cham is having issues. I would start your own thread in the health forum and fill out the how to ask for help form. Also, add some pictures for us so we have as much info as possible to go on. Hope she is feeling better soon.

Hey I'm having an issue with my female right now - she's pretty much quit drinking water it appears- her urates are 100 percent orange and they are rather small as well ... This has been happening for about 5 days now straight and I'm getting really concerned .... The only thing I've been doing to keep her from getting really terribly dehydrated is that I've been spraying her face with water and getting droplets stuck on her lips and then she opens her mouth and takes the droplet in but I cannot seem to get her to drink when it mists she either hides or doesn't care and the drippers are constantly going but she doesn't seem to care about it anymore ... Someone told me she might be about to lay eggs but I put a laying bin in the cage and she won't go into it AT ALL. Not sure what to do but I can't order silkworms right now because they aren't available ... Anyone know how long she can go with orange urates and what I can do to help her ???

Peej.....please for the life of your cham do the following:

Go to this website - http://www.veterinarians.com/services/reptiles/

Just put in your zip and they will tell you where the nearest vet is that specializes in reptiles, and get your cham there as soon as possible because five days with insufficient/no hydration is putting the life of your animal in very serious danger, never mind the suffering that goes along with it.

K
Also not really keen on doing the shower method - I don't have a fake plant and I don't think the chlorine / fluoride and other things in the water would be ok for my chameleon[/QU
Peej.....please for the life of your cham do the following:

Go to this website - http://www.veterinarians.com/services/reptiles/

Just put in your zip and they will tell you where the nearest vet is that specializes in reptiles, and get your cham there as soon as possible because five days with insufficient/no hydration is putting the life of your animal in very serious danger, never mind the suffering that goes along with it.

Rather complicated issue - make a long story short - the breeder was supposed to sell me a male and we got a female - he has agreed to take the female back and trade for a male but he is currently out of town for a funeral and I do not want to put money into a chameleon that isn't even mine technically ... But I need to keep her alive obviously - to be honest she physically looks ok but urates have been way too dark - she was eating less too which makes me think she is about to lay but maybe isn't getting enough privacy or something ? I'm not sure what to do but I do not want to go to a vet because of this situation

Its a frustrating situation but I just want to keep her healthy enough until I can get her back to the breeder .... I'm hoping that by lowering the temp and offering water almost constantly she will make it long enough - she is still very active and her eyes look fine still - not seeing any signs of dehydration besides the urates basically

Back
Top Bottom