opinions needed PLEASE!

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, Romeo had a little sore or cut which is what I thought it was on the bottom of his back left foot. So I put some neosporin on it and it seemed to be getting better but the problem is he is constantly using his feet so it keeps re injuring it. So I noticed on the right bottom foot now a little sore so I decided not to screw around and got him into the vet today. He thinks it is my chicken wire on my large cage that is causing the "wounds" So we are changing the wire out to coated wire. Anyways, he told me to continue with the neosporin and wants me to put him on Baytril for 15 days. 2cc or whatever the measurement on the shringe and inject a silkworm. My question to all of you is, if there is no infection, which there is not, is the Baytril really necessary and how hard is it on them?. I have never used it before. I just thought that was kinda extreme but maybe not. You guys tell me what ya think! Thanks everyone!

Did you ask why he wanted him on baytril? If there is no infection that seems harsh for a "just to be sure". You are correct that it is hard on them. If you do give it to him do everything you can to keep him drinking. Baytril can cause so major organ damage if they don't get the necessary water to flush out the kidneys.

well that is scaring me now! I should have asked him. i guess I still can but now it is holiday weekend. I thought it was an antibiotic and he said they were not infected. I am kinda torn here now..... I hate to give something that is really not necessary but more of a precaution.

Hey Carol, my panther gets those periodically from his outdoor cage wiring too. He has one right now actually. He usually has it for a few weeks and they heal on their own. I put neosporin on the first one but ignored the others. They've all gone away on their own. Just keep an eye on it and try to keep it clean and dry. If it seems sore, starts swelling, smells bad or starts to ooze then antibiotics would be a good idea. If it looks okay and he seems fine otherwise I would just keep an eye on it if it was me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be terrified to put him Baytril if that's what you want to do. My panther and my jacksons have both been on baytril before and they both tolerated it very well.

Last edited:
Thank you Dayna. I appreciate the advice coming from our forum vet!!! I definitely am going to change out the cage wiring. I do think it is causing it but he has been in that cage for over a year and a half now so not sure why it is happening now. I will see how the injecting of the Baytril goes! Not looking forward to sticking a needle in a silkworm! loll Thanks again for your help!

Just do everything you can to up hydration.

Early on, when Twister was on Baytril, no matter what I did, his urates continued to darken and it took a bit, even with increased humidity and making sure he was drinking more before they started lightening up again.

When I mentioned it to the doc, he said that it can be hard on the kidneys (more with some critters than others) and nothing to be too concerned about unless the urates don't start returning to normal by about a week after the end of treatment.

So, just to let you know you might expect some darker urates so you don't freak out like I did...

Hope he does well and his little mittens get better :)

I wouldnt use it yet. If it is topical id do like ferret said.

On a other note dont be abusing my romeo..I will have to come get him if i hear anymore of this :D

There is a product in most big home store Lowes, Home Depot that is a rubber liner you can spray onto wire screen to coat it, its weatherproof once its throughly dry, its called like redi-dip or something like that, its a spray can. I use it on every cage I build that uses metal wire, and it avoids these type of issues. Just an idea for you all.

There is a product in most big home store Lowes, Home Depot that is a rubber liner you can spray onto wire screen to coat it, its weatherproof once its throughly dry, its called like redi-dip or something like that, its a spray can. I use it on every cage I build that uses metal wire, and it avoids these type of issues. Just an idea for you all.

This is a very good idea but make sure to practice on scrap pieces first if you go with it.

Ultimately in my opinion it ends up being cheaper and easier to just buy the pre-coated animal wire mesh. I would only dip myself if I found some non-coated mesh I fell in love with and I am a DIY sort of guy.

Also just to note most new wire mesh won't have sharp edges as long as you're careful with the edges. After being in the elements for awhile though it can loosen, welds weaken, and small sharp edges get more prominent.

I can't weigh in on the real question but as a personal choice I would follow Ferrets advise. I only treat my animals with medication when there is little choice as a general rule, but it wouldn't hurt to fill the prescription and just have it available if you do see any signs.

thank you everyone!!! I am gonna continue with the Neosporin everyday and see if that does not heal everything up. Maybe hold off on the Baytril. He gave it to me in a vile with the syringes to inject the feeders. So I have it. I know there is a green coated wire that is like a plastic that they sell. I am going to Home Depot this weekend and am going to change out the wire. If I cannot get that, just will get regular screen I guess.

Sorry to hear your lil guy has soar feet. I have used baytril with success and no issues but I personally would hold off for now if there is no sign of infection.
Best of luck

as always im late to the ball,
and this might sound silly, but could you take a dropper with hydrogen peroxide and flush out the wounded footie?
It would be quick, easy not painful and it would keep it debrided. While making the decision to use Baytril
anne

The ones on my panther's feet are scabbed over and I've never seen them actually open or moist where hydrogen peroxide would be able to get to anything. Dilute iodine would be a better choice if you were to use something though. Hydrogen peroxide is only used in really dirty wounds with crud you want to get rid of. In clean wounds or ones that are trying to heal it can actually damage the healing tissue. My first response for my own cuts and scrapes was always peroxide when I was younger! But now after school I hardly ever use it. Pretty much the only time it's used in vet offices is to get blood off fur or sometimes in infected cat bite abscesses. Dilute iodine or chlorhexidine is what is used to clean wounds since it promotes healing better. Never knew that before school...

PS - I remember now I did wash the first sore with dilute iodine a few times. But with the scab I don't think it did much. The scab helped keep it clean. It's amazing how fast they disappear once hey start healing too. One day it looks the same as it has for 2 weeks and then 3 days later it's gone!

The ones on my panther's feet are scabbed over and I've never seen them actually open or moist where hydrogen peroxide would be able to get to anything. Dilute iodine would be a better choice if you were to use something though. Hydrogen peroxide is only used in really dirty wounds with crud you want to get rid of. In clean wounds or ones that are trying to heal it can actually damage the healing tissue. My first response for my own cuts and scrapes was always peroxide when I was younger! But now after school I hardly ever use it. Pretty much the only time it's used in vet offices is to get blood off fur or sometimes in infected cat bite abscesses. Dilute iodine or chlorhexidine is what is used to clean wounds since it promotes healing better. Never knew that before school...

PS - I remember now I did wash the first sore with dilute iodine a few times. But with the scab I don't think it did much. The scab helped keep it clean. It's amazing how fast they disappear once hey start healing too. One day it looks the same as it has for 2 weeks and then 3 days later it's gone!

thank you again! I will try that also!!! The one basically had scabbed over and the scab was there for quite awhile. Then it fell off but the skin underneath was not completely healed which I thought was weird and then he rubbed it again apparently and it started all over again! It is starting to scab around the edges again. I am hoping to get that wire changed this weekend and I have not been letting him that cage since I think that might be the culprit. I have the baytril in a vile. How long would that last if I did not use it? I mean does it expire?

Back
Top Bottom