Opening mouth?

lindseymeder16

Hey guys, so i've been noticing that Rango opens his mouth almost like he's panting like a dog does. I've seen him do it a couple times before but he's been doing it alot this afternoon, and would like to get your guy's input please.

I was thinking it is the temperature in his cage. His cage is right next to a window and I live in AZ. Today it got up to aobut 100 and it was 88 degrees in his cage. I know that is too hot, so i turned the air up and got the fan going in my room. The temp went down but he was still panting.

I've also checked his mouth and nothing is wrong with his tongue.
And no he is not hissing at me or anything--just holding his mouth open.

017-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

What are you feeding him? I have seen that type of reaction after feeding horned/silk worms. Also, after feeding adult sized crickets.

Aside from that, he is beautiful!

88 is not to hot per say but sice the ambient temp is that hot he cant cool down.
Move the cage away from the window.

Hey guys, so i've been noticing that Rango opens his mouth almost like he's panting like a dog does. I've seen him do it a couple times before but he's been doing it alot this afternoon, and would like to get your guy's input please.

I was thinking it is the temperature in his cage. His cage is right next to a window and I live in AZ. Today it got up to aobut 100 and it was 88 degrees in his cage. I know that is too hot, so i turned the air up and got the fan going in my room. The temp went down but he was still panting.

I've also checked his mouth and nothing is wrong with his tongue.
And no he is not hissing at me or anything--just holding his mouth open.

Yeah that is definitely too hot. If it were me I would move the cage away from the window, and go to a lower wattage bulb. You will need to change your bulb to accommodate the higher and lower temps throughout the year. I would also avoid running the fan around him.

I would give him time. Just bc his cage temp is down does not mean HE is cooled down just yet. Wait a bit, and go from there.

I feed him crickets, meal worms, superworms, and wax worms. Also occasional veggies. I forgot to mention that we are moving his cage this weekend! So it wont be by the window

He acts his happiest when the temp is in the low 70's. The fan is blowing out of my room so its not going at the cage.

I believe the low 70's would be a bit too chilly. He needs his heat to help him digest what he eats. I would find a temp in the 80's that he can deal with, and keep an eye on him for more panting.

Does he seem to be breathing ok and everything? No crackling or wheezing sounds?

I believe the low 70's would be a bit too chilly. He needs his heat to help him digest what he eats. I would find a temp in the 80's that he can deal with, and keep an eye on him for more panting.

Does he seem to be breathing ok and everything? No crackling or wheezing sounds?

Yes, he seems to be breathing fine. No weezing or anything. He is getting ready for bed right now and stopped panting.

The cage is usually about 70-78degrees and his basking is usually about 85. But today his whole cage was 88 degrees cus of the heat and i did not measure his basking spot at that time. Currently the temp is 74 degrees

Yes, he seems to be breathing fine. No weezing or anything. He is getting ready for bed right now and stopped panting.

The cage is usually about 70-78degrees and his basking is usually about 85. But today his whole cage was 88 degrees cus of the heat and i did not measure his basking spot at that time. Currently the temp is 74 degrees

Oh geez, if his ambient temp was 88, I can only imagine what the basking was. I would go with a lower wattage bulb to avoid this happening again, measure the basking temp often, and keep it in the mid to low 80's. I would guess he was simply WAY too hot and was trying to bring his temp down.

Just in case, I would keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn't have extra saliva in his mouth (you would see it, it looks stringy) no popping or wheezing when he breathes, and no puffing out of the chin (unless he is just simply angry lol) as these could be a sign of an RI.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom