Open range set up

Hi!
I'm trying to avoid getting a new light fixture. What I have right now is the zoo med double bulb dome that came with the starter kit. (I don't use the starter kit)
I'm going to use this in the morning because it's kinda chilly, then the rest of the day she is getting natural sun and heat.

There used to be a UVB light in there but I dropped it and broke it while I was hanging this up?

Should I just double up on heat lamps in there? Maybe make one side a night time bulb? Or another small uvb bulb?

Her area is 40Lx60H and has a 36in t5h0.

Attachments

• 20200630_140645.jpg
    20200630_140645.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 82
I would recommend a Megaray Mercury vapor bulb. I have used a 70w Megaray in my free range for over a year with great success. I do have a solor meter which is kinda essential in my mind to properly set up this type of bulb. This is my free range, three bulb track lighting with Megaray in the middle and led’s on either side for the plants.

Also, @jannb has used these bulbs for many years in free range setups with great success.
94109408-83EB-4062-A471-9E67838660AC.png

Last edited:
I would recommend a Megaray Mercury vapor bulb. I have used a 70w Megaray in my free range for over a year with great success. I do have a solor meter which is kinda essential in my mind to properly set up this type of bulb. This is my free range, three bulb track lighting with Megaray in the middle and led’s on either side for the plants.

Also, @jannb has used these bulbs for many years in free range setups with great success. View attachment 270940
Omg your set up is beautiful! #goals

Right I am meaning specifics.... Bulbs strength and distance to basking?
Oh! Sorry! The fixture came with a free retpisun 5.0 bulb. I figured that would be OK since there's no screen blocking it.
Id say she's usually 2 feet away from it usually while she's in her plants. She usually lingers in the middle of the area.

Oh! Sorry! The fixture came with a free retpisun 5.0 bulb. I figured that would be OK since there's no screen blocking it.
Id say she's usually 2 feet away from it usually while she's in her plants. She usually lingers in the middle of the area.
Ok so I hate to tell you this but she is getting virtually no UVB at that distance. These would be your approximate numbers for a 5.0 bulb used in a pro t5 fixture without a screen in between to filter the light. So to get usable UVB she would need to be directly below the bulb and more then 20 inches away. Once you drop off the 1 uvb there is next to nothing. And the current recommendation is a 3 UVI for Veileds. I think you have a Veiled. And since you have a female you want temps to sit no higher then 80 degrees. Because higher temps with food all play into her egg production.

UVI 6 = 6"

UVI 3 = 10.5"

UVI 1 = 21"

Basically I recommend those that want to have a free range like this to get a solarmeter 6.5 and a MV 2 in 1 bulb. BUT these bulbs should ONLY be used if you have a solarmeter because they produce high levels of UVB. Like @Reptofreak has in their set up.

Ok so I hate to tell you this but she is getting virtually no UVB at that distance. These would be your approximate numbers for a 5.0 bulb used in a pro t5 fixture without a screen in between to filter the light. So to get usable UVB she would need to be directly below the bulb and more then 20 inches away. Once you drop off the 1 uvb there is next to nothing. And the current recommendation is a 3 UVI for Veileds. I think you have a Veiled. And since you have a female you want temps to sit no higher then 80 degrees. Because higher temps with food all play into her egg production.

UVI 6 = 6"

UVI 3 = 10.5"

UVI 1 = 21"

Basically I recommend those that want to have a free range like this to get a solarmeter 6.5 and a MV 2 in 1 bulb. BUT these bulbs should ONLY be used if you have a solarmeter because they produce high levels of UVB. Like @Reptofreak has in their set up.
Do you think this would work? Arcadia D3+ 12%

she also gets natural sun rays for a good portion of the day. Through a screen window.

I also have more vines to make roadways with so I could make a basking area for her with those closer. She sspends most of her time in her trees but I never let the temperature go above 95 in the hottest area. I monitor the heat in multiple areas.

Do you think this would work? Arcadia D3+ 12%

she also gets natural sun rays for a good portion of the day. Through a screen window.

I also have more vines to make roadways with so I could make a basking area for her with those closer. She sspends most of her time in her trees but I never let the temperature go above 95 in the hottest area. I monitor the heat in multiple areas.
I would have to test my extra 12% for you in my single bulb fixture to give you an approximate for output without a screen block between. I can do this today if you like.
As long as there is not glass in between blocking the UVB then direct rays would help.

I would be very cautious with her temps... You do not want her to produce a large clutch of eggs and then become eggbound. Temps and food intake are a direct link to how many they produce. 95 is extremely hot for a Male much less a female. Most experienced keepers with females do not let their temps get over 81.

I would have to test my extra 12% for you in my single bulb fixture to give you an approximate for output without a screen block between. I can do this today if you like.
As long as there is not glass in between blocking the UVB then direct rays would help.

I would be very cautious with her temps... You do not want her to produce a large clutch of eggs and then become eggbound. Temps and food intake are a direct link to how many they produce. 95 is extremely hot for a Male much less a female. Most experienced keepers with females do not let their temps get over 81.
It would be nice to hear what your 12% bulb says if you get a chance!
I have the windows wide open is she can get rays without glass blocking it.
As for the area where its 95, its a very small area and only happens for like an hour when the sun is at its highest. I'll take a pic later when it happens. She has 2 trees (dracaenas) and 5 pathos that provide plenty of shade for temp drops. Her lay bin has a plant in it too and the temp in there with the moist soil is about 80. The temp in her trees is usually around 85. I do admit, I am anxious to experience her first clutch since its new to me but luckily I'm working from home so I monitor her all day long.

I also want to get her more plants but I'm waiting for my next pay check for that.

It would be nice to hear what your 12% bulb says if you get a chance!
I have the windows wide open is she can get rays without glass blocking it.
As for the area where its 95, its a very small area and only happens for like an hour when the sun is at its highest. I'll take a pic later when it happens. She has 2 trees (dracaenas) and 5 pathos that provide plenty of shade for temp drops. Her lay bin has a plant in it too and the temp in there with the moist soil is about 80. The temp in her trees is usually around 85. I do admit, I am anxious to experience her first clutch since its new to me but luckily I'm working from home so I monitor her all day long.

I also want to get her more plants but I'm waiting for my next pay check for that.
ok hun sounds good. I will test my bulb this afternoon. It is not one I currently run so I have to swap out some stuff and let the bulb warm up for an hour to get accurate readings. So tag me if I have not responded today lol.

Thank you!!
Ok so I swapped out stuff to run the numbers for you. I had to let the bulb warm up for an hour to make sure you got accurate results. These were the results so you could definitely use the 12% bulb in the single fixture t5. I would not have it any closer to the branch then 13 inches. Your sweet spot would be between 13-18 inches away from the bulb. just remember you want a branch that runs parallel to the fixture above it.

Readings done with a solarmeter 6.5. 12% arcadia bulb in a single fixture vivarium electronic t5HO without screen between

Inches - UVI level
24 1.4
18 2.4
16 3.0
13 4.0
11 5.3

Ok so I swapped out stuff to run the numbers for you. I had to let the bulb warm up for an hour to make sure you got accurate results. These were the results so you could definitely use the 12% bulb in the single fixture t5. I would not have it any closer to the branch then 13 inches. Your sweet spot would be between 13-18 inches away from the bulb. just remember you want a branch that runs parallel to the fixture above it.

Readings done with a solarmeter 6.5. 12% arcadia bulb in a single fixture vivarium electronic t5HO without screen between

Inches - UVI level
24 1.4
18 2.4
16 3.0
13 4.0
11 5.3
Oh thank you so much!!!
It just so happens that I just do happened to run a vine exactly that distance from it! Im gonna run a few more as well. I'll have to get that bulb but that not a problem!

Attachments

• 20200702_175637.jpg
    20200702_175637.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 69

Inches - UVI level
24 1.4
18 2.4
16 3.0
13 4.0
11 5.3
One last question. Do we just double the numbers you provided for the reptisun 5.0 when using a repitsun 10.0?

One last question. Do we just double the numbers you provided for the reptisun 5.0 when using a repitsun 10.0?
So with my numbers I would buy an Arcadia 12% bulb so you have a real idea of placement and uvi levels. A 10.0 Would be similar to what I gave you but not the same. You would still be guessing to a degree.

So with my numbers I would buy an Arcadia 12% bulb so you have a real idea of placement and uvi levels. A 10.0 Would be similar to what I gave you but not the same. You would still be guessing to a degree.
Hey! Just curious if you think this is OK!

The closet vine to the light is 8in. I know that's kinda close but I'm still waiting on the new bulb. I can lower it when it comes in. The main vine shes been sitting on is 13in then the ladder is 25in. I feel like this gives good levels, yeah?

I have another strip of vines and ivyto hang all around it too

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_121247_316.jpg
    IMG_20200703_121247_316.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom