Open mouth?

Amanda1801

Hiya,

I've noticed today that Colin has been sitting with his mouth open occasionally - any ideas what this means? I don't think he is mouth breathing, and he only does it for about 20-30 seconds at a time, and goes for ages without doing it again.

I did wonder if he could be thirsty, so gave his viv another good misting, and set up a rather crudely made home-made dripper - he moved towards the drips and I think he must have been geting some splashes because he was (i think!) licking his lips. I've never seen him physically drink, but when I got him, he had orange urates, which are now white (I'm assuming they are meant to be white?) - so he must be drinking at some point...

Any ideas? I have enclosed a photo - not the best quality cos was taken through the glass cos I didn't want to disturb him!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...19458474_100000150017800_644573_5420554_n.jpg

Amanda

I remember that sometimes it had something to do with the temperature. It might be to cold or to hot I cant remember which, try looking it up! Or it may be a respitory problem.

hi , if he is breeding normally , then most of the times it means that its to hot , if he is not drinking wel you can see it when his eyes are sunk in his sockets
grts , sory for my english

make sure he drinks wel because his casque is a litle bit sunk in , let hem drink out of your hand ( with dripping system ) check his mouth for muccus (slime)

Are you measuring the temperatures and humidity?

There is several reasons chameleons open mouth breath a couple are...

1. Too Hot, breathing with his mouth open to thermoregulate (cool down)

2. Dry needs more water. Could be humidity or thirsty

3. Beginning of a URI

I would start by checking the temps, humidity make water more available (run the dripper more).If those check out then I would watch him to make sure he doesn't have the beginning of a URI.

Thanks for the quick replies guys :)

I think it is probably too hot for him, so I'll get a smaller wattage bulb tomorrow.

Also trying to entice him to drink, but it's not really happening :confused:

Think I'll have to look into other hydration methods through foods and such

It looks like you have a glass cage so correct me if I'm wrong. If it is switch to a all wire or mesh cage to keep humidity up and let him drink and keep temps cool. Where are you located if located in a cool or cold climate area then its better to keep them in glass because it helps regulate heat other than that mesh or aluminum wiring cage :).

It looks like you have a glass cage so correct me if I'm wrong. If it is switch to a all wire or mesh cage to keep humidity up and let him drink and keep temps cool. Where are you located if located in a cool or cold climate area then its better to keep them in glass because it helps regulate heat other than that mesh or aluminum wiring cage :).

Im in england - he's only in a glass viv (with a mesh top) cos his previous owner is a retard - im getting him one that is actually suitable ASAP, waiting on some quotes for custom built ones so he can actually have one of a suitable size too :)

Turns out he's just a but special - got him to drink a little when i moved it right infront of his face!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...296123003_100000150017800_644605_572436_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom