Open mouth

Boba-faye

hi!
My male veiled chameleon is roughly 5-6 months old and this week I have noticed some new behavior
Yoda has been keeping his mouth open once or twice a day. The last time was after he ate he swallowed a few time And stretched out, then sat with his mouth open. It's hard to get on camera since it doesn't happen EVERY time.
I read that an open mouth can be a way for them to regulate temperature, his basking spots are always between 80-84 degrees and humidity is between 70-80% between misting cycles. I read it can also be caused by stress but usually I make feeding as low stress as I can, I know he's young but he's gotten to where he accociates my hand with food and will eat out of my hand from time to time.
Any suggestions why he may be doing this? I may just be overreacting, first time chameleon owner
Thanks ☺️

Most likely this is to regulate temperature.
If they have been basking a while they map have become a bit overheated, by opening their mouth they let more heat escape their body.

I wish I had that gift!

Kristen- he's about two and 1/2 weeks out from his last shed. But I'll keep and eye out for peeling
Reckon- I hope that's what he's doing, would make me feel better lol. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything that could be a sign for something more serious

Chamealon do open there mouth to cool down . They also open there mouth to stretch for a shed . If it's only at basking and he moves then it's probably like @Remkon said cooling . How old is your boy ? Sometimes young chamealon need a bit cooler 80 to 82 . You don't see stringy mucus in his mouth , don't hear any weird breathing sounds correct ?

I just re read 5 to 6 months see if you notice him doing it when basking is closer to the 84 . My girl anything over 82 and she's up there gaping .

Kristen - yes I'll adjust his temp the slightest bit to see if there is a difference. No signs of abnormalities to his mouth, took him out for some socialization (aka sitting on a house plant in the living room) and got a good look, haven't seen him do it since I posted as well.

Kristen - yes I'll adjust his temp the slightest bit to see if there is a difference. No signs of abnormalities to his mouth, took him out for some socialization (aka sitting on a house plant in the living room) and got a good look, haven't seen him do it since I posted as well.
Awesome my girl even with 1° She gapes . Took me for ever to get her basking right . We live in New England and its crazy temps it can change 20 or 25° Over night I ended up getting an adjustable light stand .

Does this happen just after eating? I've found sometimes they stretch out their necks and open their mouths after eating, especially a prey item that is quite large. I almost think they are sorting out their body parts (tongue/stomach/lungs) after getting it down or that their full stomach is so full it is taking up too much room for their lungs. Kind of like unbuckling a belt after Thanksgiving dinner.

Does this happen just after eating? I've found sometimes they stretch out their necks and open their mouths after eating, especially a prey item that is quite large. I almost think they are sorting out their body parts (tongue/stomach/lungs) after getting it down or that their full stomach is so full it is taking up too much room for their lungs. Kind of like unbuckling a belt after Thanksgiving dinner.
Frances definitely did that with her first few hornworms . Scared the crap outa me . Thought I was going to have to pull the hornworm out . Also she developed her first respiratory infection shortly after I was Convinced It was that hornworm . We all know had nothing to do with the Respirator infection .

When he was doing it, it did tend to happen after eating, my first thought was "OMG it's stuck" , but then he'd stop and go about his business. I was so worried at first that maybe it was something I was overlooking, like open mouth being a sign of distress like a cat open mouth breathing is a bad sign. But knowing it can be multiple things, like regulating their temperature, it helped me relax, I adjusted his temp two degrees down and he hasn't down it since

My babies gape from time to time, usually temp regulations. If it was a respiratory infection, you would hear little crackles and your baby would be breathing a little harder. Mine didn't get to the foaming stage when she was sick but the cham cough was noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom