Oozing spot

In the last couple days I noticed a persistent yellow spot on Khalid's casque. Upon closer inspection, it looks like goo. Today I took him out and used my finger to touch the goo. It was indeed wet and came off pretty easy. Underneath it revealed the smallest brown spot, like a pin prick. The spot is rough to the touch, distinct from the regular smooth scales. I've attached pictures. What could this be?
signal-2020-12-11-140835_003.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Husbandry form for reference: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/an-up-to-date-husbandry-form.2411/

Attachments

• signal-2020-12-11-140835_001.jpeg
    signal-2020-12-11-140835_001.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 89
  • signal-2020-12-11-140835_002.jpeg
    signal-2020-12-11-140835_002.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 80
  • signal-2020-12-11-140835_004.jpeg
    signal-2020-12-11-140835_004.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 94
  • signal-2020-12-11-140835_005.jpeg
    signal-2020-12-11-140835_005.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 98
  • signal-2020-12-11-140835_006.jpeg
    signal-2020-12-11-140835_006.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 81
This can happen when they have had a thermal burn... creates an abscess that oozes from the infection.

Has he had a thermal burn or can he get too close to the heat? Ceramic heat emitters can cause issues like this as well.

This can happen when they have had a thermal burn... creates an abscess that oozes from the infection.

Has he had a thermal burn or can he get too close to the heat? Ceramic heat emitters can cause issues like this as well.
THE CHE is 3" away from the top of his cage. I've actually had some trouble getting that spot up to the right temp. The highest temp I've read with a heat gun off his body is 90 degrees and that is rare.

It could be, though. I don't know how else he could have done it. Is there anything I should do to treat it? Or just let it heal? Should I continue to wipe away pus?

Thanks @Beman

THE CHE is 3" away from the top of his cage. I've actually had some trouble getting that spot up to the right temp. The highest temp I've read with a heat gun off his body is 90 degrees and that is rare.

It could be, though. I don't know how else he could have done it. Is there anything I should do to treat it? Or just let it heal? Should I continue to wipe away pus?

Thanks @Beman
I honestly think it is your che... These can produce really hot temps. For the oozing this would be a reason to go to a reptile vet. If it is an infection in the casque the cham would need antibiotics and possibly a topical ointment. I have seen some really bad threads where a thermal burn happens and treatment never happened then the casque essentially like falls off from the infection. It is pretty nasty. So personally I would not just leave it. The oozing indicates infection.

Update: another concerning symptom is the spot or area around it stays light colored. It doesn't really change when he goes into dark mode. Is this something a burn does as well?

Attachments

• 20201211_150333.jpg
    20201211_150333.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 80
Update: another concerning symptom is the spot or area around it stays light colored. It doesn't really change when he goes into dark mode. Is this something a burn does as well?
That is what it looks like to me. Like I said the CHE are not really cham safe... Temps get way too hot. I would honestly switch it out to a regular household incandescent bulb. I know you said it is lifted off the top. But you really want a 9-10 inch distance even using an incandescent. If his casque reaches within inches of the che then that would be a major thermal burn risk. Especially if your still running a 150 watt CHE... I only run 60 watt incandescents

I honestly think it is your che... These can produce really hot temps. For the oozing this would be a reason to go to a reptile vet. If it is an infection in the casque the cham would need antibiotics and possibly a topical ointment. I have seen some really bad threads where a thermal burn happens and treatment never happened then the casque essentially like falls off from the infection. It is pretty nasty. So personally I would not just leave it. The oozing indicates infection.

OMG my curiosity got the best of me and I looked up the casque falling off! That is shocking! 😳 Also I wonder if it would help to temp not his body but the top of his casque or maybe the air around where his casque sits?

OMG my curiosity got the best of me and I looked up the casque falling off! That is shocking! 😳 Also I wonder if it would help to temp not his body but the top of his casque or maybe the air around where his casque sits?
Thanks, I meant the top of his casque gets to 90 degrees rarely, that I've seen. I can't temp the air, the red dot has to land on something, I think. There is a temp probe on the branch under the CHE, like 7" down. That temp reads up to 80 degrees lately. It is attached to a thermostat that turns it off when the probe reaches 92 degrees.

But I am pretty sick of trying to make the CHE work. I will go back to trying incandescents.

I even got a Deep Heat Projector because I want to use a light-less heat source to hook up to the thermostat. That way a light wouldn't go on and off during the day and I can be sure of temps. But that thing produces even less heat that the probe can pick up than the CHE.

The temps have been a struggle for a while. But they have been even lower lately since Khalid was moved into a basement office. So a burn kinda surprises me, but I don't know what else would cause these symptoms.

Oh ok, that’s rough. It must be really cold there. The things we go thru for these little dragons 🙄 I find I have the flip side of temp probs trying to get things cool enough.

“There is a temp probe on the branch under the CHE, like 7" down. That temp reads up to 80 degrees lately. It is attached to a thermostat that turns it off when the probe reaches 92 degrees.”

If that probe is on the branch then turns off at 92 it’s safe to say that the top of his head is several degrees higher before that shuts off. But 80 degrees is a bit more reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom