Only Panthers??

I just went through all of the sponser links and I only found very few breeders that offered anything but panthers. There were a couple of veiled and ONE place that offered carpets. What is that about? I get that chams are specialized and not for everybody so the customer base is limited but is color really all people want? Jackson's may not change colors like crazy but they are frikken awesome and very handleable compared to the others. Is it just an availability thing? Why are there so many people who breed panthers (and veiled) but not so many who breed the others?

Panthers and veileds are the most in demand and easiest to breed so it's easier to mount a business around them. But there are small breeders that specialize in other species, but since they might be slow/difficult to breed and/or difficult to acquire lots of breeding adults it is much harder to build up a profitable business where you can have offspring for sale nearly all the time. And those rarer species tend to scare new (sometimes rightfully), inexperienced keepers so they aren't people's first or second choice as their first taste of chameleon keeping.

For the "specialized" CB stuff you need to keep a look out on the forum classifieds and that kind of thing. You learn who the go-to people are for stuff like carpets, quads, multis, etc. They're out there!

Panthers and veileds are the most in demand and easiest to breed so it's easier to mount a business around them. But there are small breeders that specialize in other species, but since they might be slow/difficult to breed and/or difficult to acquire lots of breeding adults it is much harder to build up a profitable business where you can have offspring for sale nearly all the time. And those rarer species tend to scare new (sometimes rightfully), inexperienced keepers so they aren't people's first or second choice as their first taste of chameleon keeping.

For the "specialized" CB stuff you need to keep a look out on the forum classifieds and that kind of thing. You learn who the go-to people are for stuff like carpets, quads, multis, etc. They're out there!

Exactly, also, the knowledge base is lacking on the more exotic species.
Not enough people own them, so not much exchange of husbandry experience. Which leads into what you are saying.

Back
Top Bottom