Only a Cham lover would understand!

Muddyfeet

Ok been struggling with a crappy mister system.. Dry air due to the winter,, some other husbandry concerns.. add a Cham who does not drink well from a standard dripper, and HATES showers.. with my mister crapping out again.. and stuck with a less than ideal misting shed.. he needed a lot of short frequent misting's, vs being stuck with a 15min flood the cage type.. so been resorting to hand misting.. however, lets say been a struggle, he is a ninja drinker.. I mist he does NOT drink..

With all the little bumps in the road, screwing around with some new ideas.. I have a thin cham, now eating better more active, but still not good.. . .. so off to the vet, blood work normal except hemo concentration , fecal neg.. and too sometimes yellow/orange, urates.. so he is somewhat dehydrated.. not drinking enough!..

so.. I Took a plastic cup, modified the mister head I had.. added a reservoir to it.. so multiple big drops in a specific area.. vs a mist..

YUP came on this morning, its set over his favorite spot.. and guess what DRANK like a sailor, vs oh crap run away!! YAY!!..

Where there I a will there Is a way.. It works, now.. I admit! a proper rain dome is on my wish list.. (same with a timed mister that does not fail to time) but now.. it works... but not perfect :) however that accessory will have to wait as I really want to upgrade my fixtures to the Light your reptiles unit and the arcadia bulbs, and address my timed mister issue.. and yes.. chose the oh go to the vet, to spend money on just to be sure, it was not some underlying medical concern.. vs the issues I am having with husbandry or that this caused medical issues..

but wow.. Big huge drops raining down on him.. DRINKS right away.. Fine mist.. no escape.. the oh hate it, min like 10 or so, later then gives in to drinking..

Very surprised!! I turned it on this morning and not kidding a few huge drops.. a moment of oh what the hell, then oh started drinking!..

cost? NOTHING I reused a cup my springtail culture came in, and some silicone I had.. As I had him checked out at the vet, no specific medical concerns.. just a dehydration issue.. worth trying something outside of the box.. it worked :)

Only chameleon owners get excited seeing their charge DRINK!! ranks up there with eating.. seems such a small thing.. but shoot me, I am kind of tickled I tried something, and it worked so well :)

Amanda

Super awesome! It's so exciting when you see them drink... especially from a little one that wasn't such a great drinker. Grats! I would be tickled too! Haha! Very cool. :)

Lol no it is not a small thing. :) Glad to hear he is drinking for you!
However I do have to laugh. I can see you doing the happy dance. I did the white girl can't dance dance when the poop thread came out, and I found that what I was sure was a terrible "Oh-my-gosh-I-poisoned-my-cham-ack!" poo was actually just I fed him too late one night, well yeah.
I'm glad you love your little one enough to go to such lengths :)
They sure get to us don't they?
sharl

The poop thread was really good, and yes funny.. but rest assured not specific to reptiles.. why I cannot fathom how do you know why you don't know what your pets feces look like...

As a dog nut.. we spend a lot of time also looking at how often, COLOR.. size too.. Heck even a study on placement :) got one up on the herp owners :) LOL http://americablog.com/2014/01/dogs-poop-alignment-earths-magnetic-field-study-says.html

Yes it is possible your TAX dollars funded this..

Why I am so happy to SEE my Cham drink.. I am nuts I am sure.. but I am in the company of other "nuts" who know.. why such things are important :)

Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom