One of my Meller's has a swollen leg.

ChamAllen

Hi all,

Without going to a vet what is the best course when an otherwise healthy cham has a single swollen limb?

Thanks.

Did he take a fall? If he didn't a swollen limb is a sign of MBD. Hope everything alright with him/her..

Could be a gout flare up, if he is eating a high fat diet. [ie: too many waxworms]. I had a female veil have her leg swell up from the knee down after going on a hornworm binge. We need pics to be sure. However, if the vet is in your price range, GO!

Did he take a fall? If he didn't a swollen limb is a sign of MBD. Hope everything alright with him/her..

A sign of MBD? I've never heard that. A swollen limb could be due to an injury, to gout, or to a serious infection (spreading from a damaged toe or claw loss?).

Sounds like limb got caught in a branch while taking a fall, or a bite from another chameleon. Also look at claws. May heal over time, or stay swollen rest of life. I had this happen to a parson, and arm healed after about two years.

It's hard to say without knowing what is causing the swelling. Photos would be a good start but if it's an injury like a strain or whatnot that didn't leave a bruise it'll be difficult to say. Would there be a reason to suspect gout, in your gutloading or something?

It's hard to say without knowing what is causing the swelling. Photos would be a good start but if it's an injury like a strain or whatnot that didn't leave a bruise it'll be difficult to say. Would there be a reason to suspect gout, in your gutloading or something?

We took her to the vet. Yes, he concluded that she was a she.

He said she had two different infections. He lanced and cleaned out the infection in her knee. He said it's going to be hard on her system. Gave me meds for her. Hopefully she will hopefully have a speedy recovery.

Couple of pictures of before the vet visit are attached.

Attachments

• 62-1.jpg
    62-1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 62-2.jpg
    62-2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 192
Ouch poor thing. These things can take a long time to clear up but hopefully she does well.

How did your vet ID her gender? X-rays or something?

Back
Top Bottom